Luno provides a safe and easy way to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies
Senior People Partner - Engineering & Product
Senior People Partner - Product & Engineering
Cape Town/Jo'burg, South Africa
The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual.
Together, we are upgrading the world of work to unleash the potential within and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need people with exceptional talent. As simple as that.
A bit about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum
- We currently have over 5 million customers across 40 countries
- We are Series B funded, backed by Balderton Capital and the Naspers Group
- Our platform has processed over $14 billion dollars since we’ve launched
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore
This role in a nutshell:
Every day, the People team strives to create the best place to work for mission-driven people. As a key part of our business, our team makes sure that Luno attracts, hires and retains the best talent. The team consists of superstars who maintain their networks in specific industries, and because they are immersed in the talent pool, our team is able to connect with the brightest candidates who are excited about our vision. We see ourselves as the culture guardians, and strive to deliver the best possible employee experience to all Lunauts. Onboarding our monthly group of Newnauts, encouraging continuous skills development and personal growth, and partnering with our people leaders to achieve their goals, are just a few of the things we do to make coming in to work the highlight of your day. You will be focussing on Engineering & Product in your role (30% of our Lunauts).
You will be part of Sarah Robertson's team, meet her here!
Your mission will involve:
- Applying your in-depth understanding of the employee life cycle and ensuring innovative problem solving is implemented, in partnership with management and internal stakeholders (onboarding, setting new starters up for success, development, moves, offboarding)
- Facilitating positive employee relations and the development of high performing teams
- Actively working towards improving employee engagement, in partnership with management, employees and stakeholders
- Supporting your business units with change management and company wide initiatives such as performance management
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in HR or a related discipline, and you have practically applied this knowledge in the workplace
- Experience scaling (technology) companies.
- Minimum of 6 years' experience in a HR Generalist role.
- A calm and approachable attitude and the ability to adapt your interpersonal style as required.
- Great attention to detail and giving consistent, pragmatic and fair advice .
- Proven experience in providing guidance and support with regards to employee relations and the application of South African Labour Law.
- Ability to coach and advise managers on effective leadership behaviours.
- Experience with people analytics, process improvements and policy development.
- Experience working with Engineering and/or Product teams.
- Team Working: They support others and show respect and positive regard for them in social situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams and customers.
- Influencing and Persuading: Communicates and networks effectively. Successfully persuades and influences others. Relates to others in a confident and relaxed manner.
- Analytical Thinking: Provides evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Communicating well in writing and can explain complex technical analysis to a non-technical audience.
- Planning and Organising: Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way. Follows directions and procedures. Delivers within the agreed time frames.
In your first six months, you will:
- Partner with management across the entire employee journey, including setting new starters up for success, engagement action plans, feedback mechanisms, performance management, effective leave management, wellbeing and recognition initiatives.
- Support, and be involved in the wider People Team’s roadmap of projects as part of our mission to upgrade the world of work.
Remote Life at Luno
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Annual Inspiration Day... like that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We are a social bunch of people, we have virtual quarterly activities and drinks Fridays for whoever wants to join!
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Luno at a glance
Luno focuses on Financial Services, Virtual Currency, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, and Blockchains. Their company has offices in Singapore and London. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Luno has raised $13.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2017.