A complete, high-quality, and affordable solution for enterprise translation
Senior Software Engineer, Research
Lilt builds software that is revolutionizing the translation industry. Our product helps human-translators become much faster by using Machine Translation that is intelligently integrated into the translation workflow at every step. We make translators at least 3x more efficient in their jobs and they love working with our product:
“I was recently obliged to start using [Competitor Software], and I can’t tell you how infinitely superior the Lilt experience is! Viva Lilt!” - translator using Lilt.
Your job will be to accelerate this happiness even further! We’re one of the success stories for Artificial Intelligence making people’s daily lives much better, both in terms of the translators using our system and our customers who get translated content much faster and with higher accuracy. As a translation company, we work with a large diversity of languages and cultures.
The product itself is based on Machine Learning and Human-Computer Interaction research at Stanford and UC Berkeley and the company is backed by top-tier investors including Sequoia, Redpoint, Zetta, and XSeed Capital. Lilt is headquartered in San Francisco’s Design District and with a second office in Berlin. Both locations are growing rapidly.
About Engineering at Lilt
Lilt is a high-performance, large-scale language translation system. We invest in and prioritize workflow (i.e., usability and interface design) and backend AI systems. Since the translation workforce is distributed worldwide, there are interesting cloud engineering problems to solve. We have a strong preference for building our own backend technology, so you’ll be implementing and working with the latest natural language processing (NLP) techniques and ideas.
About Research at Lilt
Lilt was founded by researchers from Stanford and Google, and the founding team consists of four computational linguists. We encourage publication and the free exchange of ideas. Current research interests are machine translation, domain adaptation techniques, and computational morphology. We have a strong preference for researchers who are also strong engineers and enjoy putting their ideas into practice.
About the Job
You will focus on building, maintaining, and deploying Lilt's interactive and adaptive neural machine translation system and related machine learning components. This role will include elements of software engineering, DevOps, system reliability, quality monitoring, test engineering, and production deployment as you work closely with Lilt research scientists to train, test, configure, and deploy the adaptive translation system that powers Lilt's platform.
Using your talents in software engineering and robust systems architecture, you will work closely with the research team to achieve:
- Automated monitoring of model accuracy, speed, and overall performance of our myriad machine learning models, which span adaptive machine translation, word alignment, grammar correction, and information retrieval
- Automated reporting and triggers for deployed models
- Automated test coverage for all models and moving parts in research
- Coordination with the DevOps team to streamline monitoring and event handling
- Back-end infrastructure to support customer-facing dashboards that highlight model performance improvements over time
- Improved interpretability and stability of neural network models and training techniques
You will have the ability to contribute to scientific papers and attend conferences with the team in the field of computational linguistics and machine learning.
* B.S./M.S. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, or related technical field; or equivalent experience
* Strong software engineering skills (Python, Java, etc.)
* Familiarity with distributed and systems computing
* Machine learning experience, preferably applied experience with Tensorflow
* An interest in computational linguistics, especially in machine translation
* A penchant for hardening, scaling, and automating systems
* Competitive salary and meaningful equity
* A competitive vacation policy
* A professional development budget for each employee
* Twice-yearly meetups between the SF and Berlin teams
Lilt at a glance
Lilt focuses on Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, Software, and Translation. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Berlin. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Lilt has raised $37.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.