Lightstep delivers unified observability with visibility across multi-layered architecture
Lightstep enables teams to detect and resolve regressions quickly, regardless of system scale or complexity. We integrate seamlessly into daily workflows, whether you are proactively optimizing performance or investigating a root cause so you can quickly get back to building features. We continue to grow our talented, low-ego, team! We believe that we should always align our actions toward a common purpose, that trust is paramount and must be cultivated, that the most valuable team members multiply rather than add, and that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously (except when we’re writing way-too-long sentences about our values). We believe that assembling and retaining an inclusive and diverse team is the best way to grow a successful company.
We created Lightstep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, and we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer and end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Google’s distributed tracing solution) and Monarch (Google’s high-availability metrics solution), Lightstep is in many ways a reaction to and a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals and as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, and the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll play a pivotal role in growing our creative, thoughtful engineering team in the quest to make software everywhere more reliable. Our engineers are based in both SF and remotely, spanning a variety of career backgrounds and experience levels; we look first and foremost for an empathetic leader.
We care deeply about building long term careers and offer opportunities for Engineering Managers to grow towards more strategic leadership or other roles in our developing business. In addition, we highly encourage (and have frequently supported) our engineering managers who give talks at conferences and organize events.
You’d be a great addition if…
- You're people-driven first and foremost: motivated by the success of your team, excited to support the engineers on your team, and attuned to them as individuals.
- You have demonstrated success in managing a variety of performance levels.
- You're adept at prioritization, with a track record of delivering great software on a predictable schedule, either as an engineer or as a manager.
- You’re motivated by both open-ended challenges and practical it-just-needs-to-get-done projects: whatever has the most impact.
- You ask technical questions that serve both the product and individual engineers.
- You collaborate and build effective relationships with other functions: design, product, marketing, recruiting, etc.
- You have at least 4-5 years of prior engineering management experience.
Bonus points if…
- You have experience with a product or platform that handles large amounts of data at scale (e.g. ad tech, payment processing, media streaming)
- You've recruited and shepherded engineering candidates through the interview process.
- You have experience outside of engineering: marketing, sales, design, etc.
- You've managed a growing engineering team (for example, guiding project management and career development) at a nimble startup.
Lightstep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Health care plan
Parental leave policy
Reading club, running club, happy hours, movie nights, "Ladies of LightStep" gatherings
People-first position in decision-making
LightStep at a glance
LightStep focuses on Internet, Enterprise Software, Software, Developer Tools, and Application Performance Monitoring. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, LightStep has raised $70M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.