Lightstep delivers unified observability with visibility across multi-layered architecture
Software Engineer$100k – $180k • 0.01% – 0.05%
Lightstep enables teams to detect and resolve regressions quickly, regardless of system scale or complexity. We integrate seamlessly into daily workflows, whether you are proactively optimizing performance or investigating a root cause so you can quickly get back to building features. We continue to grow our talented, low-ego, team! We believe that we should always align our actions toward a common purpose, that trust is paramount and must be cultivated, that the most valuable team members multiply rather than add, and that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously (except when we’re writing way-too-long sentences about our values). We believe that assembling and retaining an inclusive and diverse team is the best way to grow a successful company.
We created Lightstep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, and we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer and end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Google’s distributed tracing solution) and Monarch (Google’s high-availability metrics solution), Lightstep is in many ways a reaction to and a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals and as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, and the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll play a pivotal role in shaping new product offerings and scaling a sophisticated system, while working closely with our other engineers. We're looking for someone excited to join a growing team that writes efficient, maintainable code for a standout product used every day by engineers at Lyft, Twilio, and more.
We care deeply about building long term careers and offer opportunities for Software Engineers to grow towards project leadership, engineering management, or other roles in our developing business. In addition, we highly encourage (and have frequently supported) our engineers who give talks at conferences, organize local events, and mentor developing engineers.
You’d be a great addition if…
- You enjoy digging deep into fundamentally challenging CS and engineering problems.
- You’re motivated by high-impact projects, whether they’re open-ended questions or immediate practical needs, that drive a business's bottom line.
- You value EQ as much as, if not more than, IQ in your teammates.
- You'd enjoy working on a cross-functional team alongside designers, DevOps, UI engineers, and product managers.
- You’ve worked on large-scale distributed systems, security, performance, and/or microservice-based architectures.
- You're excited to work on a tool that other developers rely on for their 5 9's and firefighting!
Bonus points if…
- You've developed in, or look forward to, learning Go.
- You've held a tech lead position in the past and enjoy coordinating with others to ensure complex engineering projects are done well.
- You have experience outside of engineering: marketing, sales, design, management, etc.
- You contribute to open source projects, enjoy giving talks, and/or do community-building work.
- You have mentored more junior engineers, interns, or teammates in a lasting and impactful manner.
Lightstep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Health care plan
Parental leave policy
Reading club, running club, happy hours, movie nights, "Ladies of LightStep" gatherings
People-first position in decision-making
LightStep at a glance
LightStep focuses on Internet, Enterprise Software, Software, Developer Tools, and Application Performance Monitoring. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, LightStep has raised $70M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.