Banking that has your back
Backend Engineer0.002% – 0.004%
About the role
Chime is looking for an engineer eager to grow expertise in building technology that powers our mobile app. This position will span a large range of the tech stack from new API architecture and design for mobile client consumption, to the execution of new microservices that power relevant domains.
In this role, you can expect to
- Design and implement APIs working closely with the mobile team to ship product efficiently
- Design, develop, test, refactor and scale backend implementations of new and existing consumer product features
- Work closely with our product team to launch new features
- Develop thoroughly tested code and conduct quality assurance on all new code alongside our QA team
- Collaborate effectively with other technology teams and architects to solve complex problems spanning their respective areas
- Work in a team as well as independently and deliver on aggressive schedules and goals
To thrive in this role, you have
- Proven experience with Ruby on Rails or comparable languages and frameworks
- Experience using GraphQL as an added plus
- A minimum of 2 years developing software in a production environment at scale
- Rigor in A/B testing, test coverage, and web best practices
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications
- Start-up experience as an added plus!
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We've built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $14.5B. We've raised over $1B in funding from leading investors including DST, Coatue, Tiger Global, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Dragoneer, Menlo, Whale Rock, Access, Forerunner, Crosslink, Cathay, aCrew, and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.
Our healthcare coverage includes medical and dental insurance.
We offer employees the option to contribute to their 401k plan.
We offer 16 weeks of paid parental leave for all parents to help you welcome your new additions. Our office has an onsite dedicated Mother's Room for those who need it.
Need a vacay? Take one. Life just threw you a curveball? Go get that work-life balance! We offer a flexible PTO policy.
Health & wellness
To make fueling up at work easier, we offer healthy snacks, a variety of beverages, two catered meals per week, and the option to expense dinners if you are a night owl!
Get to and from work easier with out commuter benefits.
We love our dogs of Chime! As long as your pup is house trained, good with people and other dogs, we welcome them in!
Learning and development
We offer each Chimer a stipend for professional development to use on online courses, conferences, certifications and more!
Team building and offsites
We're a ton of fun - We work hard and have fun while we're at it! Picnics, escape room outings, happy hours, Giants games, and the list goes on.
We pledge to give 1% of our time towards charitable work and volunteer frequently as a company.
We celebrate your tenure milestones by rewarding you with travel stipends and swag!
Chime at a glance
Chime focuses on Mobile, Financial Services, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, and Banking. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Chime has raised $808.75M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2019 at a valuation of $5.8B.