Lead Data Scientist
About the Role
In this role, you’ll be a part of the Machine Learning and Data Science (MLDS) team that combats fraud, improves member experience, creates recommendations for users and builds the infrastructure to support ML in production. You’ll contribute to Chime’s growing machine learning automation/decision making efforts, which include building and deploying production ML models (data wrangling, feature engineering, model training, batch and transactional inference) as well as model monitoring and alerting.
In this role, you can expect to
- Understand product, risk, and business requirements and how to apply ML to solve our most challenging problems in impactful ways
- Creatively leverage new and existing data to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our decision-making infrastructure
- Partner with ML engineers to design machine learning solutions that operate quickly and effectively at scale
- Make business recommendations to the executive and cross-functional teams (e.g. cost-benefit, forecasting, experiment analysis) effectively through presentations of findings and visualizations of quantitative information
- Lead efforts to build the next generation of data products at Chime
To thrive in this role, you have
- 6+ years industry experience (consumer tech preferred) developing machine learning models from inception to business impact
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Machine Learning or STEM field, with experience building production ML pipelines (development, deployment, inference and monitoring) at scale
- Deep understanding of and experience with a variety of machine learning techniques such as classifiers, recommenders, statistical models, etc.
- Demonstrable experience with ML/DL/NLP toolkits: Keras, PyTorch, Tensorflow, scikit-learn, SparkML, spaCy, etc.
- Strong programming skills (Python preferred) with intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL and the ability to wrangle data from many disparate data sources
- A team player with demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with some of the technologies we use: Python, Kafka, Redis, MySQL, Postgres, Spark, AWS, Snowflake and Looker, among many others
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We've built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $14.5B. We've raised over $1B in funding from leading investors including DST, Coatue, Tiger Global, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Dragoneer, Menlo, Whale Rock, Access, Forerunner, Crosslink, Cathay, aCrew, and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.
Our healthcare coverage includes medical and dental insurance.
We offer employees the option to contribute to their 401k plan.
We offer 16 weeks of paid parental leave for all parents to help you welcome your new additions. Our office has an onsite dedicated Mother's Room for those who need it.
Need a vacay? Take one. Life just threw you a curveball? Go get that work-life balance! We offer a flexible PTO policy.
Health & wellness
To make fueling up at work easier, we offer healthy snacks, a variety of beverages, two catered meals per week, and the option to expense dinners if you are a night owl!
Get to and from work easier with out commuter benefits.
We love our dogs of Chime! As long as your pup is house trained, good with people and other dogs, we welcome them in!
Learning and development
We offer each Chimer a stipend for professional development to use on online courses, conferences, certifications and more!
Team building and offsites
We're a ton of fun - We work hard and have fun while we're at it! Picnics, escape room outings, happy hours, Giants games, and the list goes on.
We pledge to give 1% of our time towards charitable work and volunteer frequently as a company.
We celebrate your tenure milestones by rewarding you with travel stipends and swag!
Chime at a glance
Chime focuses on Mobile, Financial Services, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, and Banking. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Chime has raised $808.75M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2019 at a valuation of $5.8B.