Banking that has your back
Engineering Manager, Platform Engineering
About the role
Chime is looking for an engineering leader to help manage and guide one of the technology groups responsible for powering our bank-account features, mobile applications, platforms, service architecture, and third-party integrations. This team is responsible for major components of new feature development and the scalability of Chime’s infrastructure as we accelerate our growth.
In this role, you can expect to
- Work closely with our engineering leaders to Identify bottlenecks in our existing software infrastructure and guide the team through a path forward to improve and scale it. Ensure that technical decisions support our quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, and security goals.
- Build and lead a high-calibre team of software engineers to solve problems while being hands on. Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement. Establish a sense of urgency and direction, set expectations with team and individuals.
- Work with your team to ensure an environment of safety, trust, growth and taking smart risks. Mentor and coach engineers to further develop their careers.
- Establish team objectives in alignment with business goals. Work with engineering leadership to discover new ways the Platform team can help the engineering organization.
- Contribute to overall engineering initiatives as a member of Chime’s engineering leadership team.
To thrive in this role, you have
- Experience as a software engineer (backend and distributed systems preferably) and an effective people manager.
- Built scalable, maintainable and production ready backend systems and frameworks with an eye towards making those around you more efficient.
- Interest in pushing the envelope to explore new technologies and architectures that can have a large return on investment.
- The desire to learn and dive into the deepest levels of how things work.
- The excitement for making a huge difference at a growing start-up.
- The ability to motivate a team through delivery on aggressive schedules and goals.
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We've built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $14.5B. We've raised over $1B in funding from leading investors including DST, Coatue, Tiger Global, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Dragoneer, Menlo, Whale Rock, Access, Forerunner, Crosslink, Cathay, aCrew, and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.
Our healthcare coverage includes medical and dental insurance.
We offer employees the option to contribute to their 401k plan.
We offer 16 weeks of paid parental leave for all parents to help you welcome your new additions. Our office has an onsite dedicated Mother's Room for those who need it.
Need a vacay? Take one. Life just threw you a curveball? Go get that work-life balance! We offer a flexible PTO policy.
Health & wellness
To make fueling up at work easier, we offer healthy snacks, a variety of beverages, two catered meals per week, and the option to expense dinners if you are a night owl!
Get to and from work easier with out commuter benefits.
We love our dogs of Chime! As long as your pup is house trained, good with people and other dogs, we welcome them in!
Learning and development
We offer each Chimer a stipend for professional development to use on online courses, conferences, certifications and more!
Team building and offsites
We're a ton of fun - We work hard and have fun while we're at it! Picnics, escape room outings, happy hours, Giants games, and the list goes on.
We pledge to give 1% of our time towards charitable work and volunteer frequently as a company.
We celebrate your tenure milestones by rewarding you with travel stipends and swag!
Chime at a glance
Chime focuses on Mobile, Financial Services, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, and Banking. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Chime has raised $808.75M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2019 at a valuation of $5.8B.