Kpler brings data intelligence to the energy markets
Software Engineer Manager - Data/Back
Kpler is the leading provider of data intelligence for the commodity markets. Our software aggregates data from hundreds of sources including radar and satellite imagery as well as logistics, governmental and shipping databases. By connecting the dots across fragmented information landscapes, we bring our clients - mostly commodities producers, oil and gas companies, trading houses, public utilities and shipping companies, financial institutions and hedge funds - unique, real-time understanding of supply and demand in the commodity markets.
The company has offices in 6 countries and 7 locations (Paris, London, Brussels, Dubai, Singapore Houston and New York). With individuals of various backgrounds, diverse skills and international experiences, being global & inclusive is in our DNA!
What you’ll do
As a Software Engineer Manager, you’ll play a key role to help your feature team perform to deliver and maintain the required product in a great and benevolent atmosphere, while ensuring we stay customer-focused. As one of the most senior and core members of the team, you’ll own decision making and problem solving on some of our most challenging problems. You’ll also be a leader on the team, able to manage, mentor and educate more junior members.
As a Software Engineer Manager you will:
• Manage a team of 4-8 developers
• Shape the architecture of Kpler’s platform
• Improve our platform’s stability and scalability and work on partitioning issues
• Put emphasis on tests, code quality and devops aspects
• Participate in the development and releases of new features
• Research, architect, implement, and help drive innovative solutions
• Actively share knowledge and document insights to support continuous team improvement and collaborationAct as a mentor throughout the software development process
Our stack is mostly made up of Python/Scala/Go/PostgreSQL/ElasticSearch
You may be a fit if...
• 7+ years experience in a similar role working with Python and Cloud Infrastructure (Amazon AWS)
• Experience managing at least 2-3 developers
• Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL or equivalent)
• Experience with Spark and/or Hadoop
• Ability to learn quickly and deliver high quality code in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
• Business sense to understand dataset and how to improve their use
• Excellent communication skills to be able to operate in a culturally diverse, global and distributed team
• Experience working with distributed team
• Experience in FinTech/Trading platforms and/or commodities markets
• Experience in sqlalchemy (or other ORM)
• Knowledge of Go, Java, Ruby, Rust or C++
But you REALLY need to join us because...
• Interesting product & challenging technical problems to solve: our market is very specialized and quite complicated! This means we build real algos and there’s some serious software engineering at work here!
• Our growth is exponential: we build new features and products everyday! We frequently tackle brand new business areas which means there’s always everything to build and always an interesting problem to sink your teeth into!
• We are still small enough that you can get exposure to our entire tech architecture, be close to the business, see the impact you make and build your career trying out different things!
• We are at the cross-road of Software Engineering, Commodity and Finance. This creates an interesting cultural mix: We value the flexibility, collaboration and employee-centric approach that the Tech culture brings but we also value the pragmatism, hard-working and intellectual excellence expectation that often runs in the Finance and Energy worlds.
• You’ll get to work in a truly global work environment: With offices in 6 countries, we come from more than 20 countries and speak more than 15 languages.
• We offer competitive compensation & benefits and are looking for feedback and opportunity to improve them everyday!