Komodo Health is dedicated to fighting global disease
Data Scientist (Healthcare Map)
We Breathe Life Into Data
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. Smarter use of data is essential to this mission. We combine the world’s most comprehensive view of patient encounters with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical expertise to power our Healthcare Map, the industry’s most precise view of the U.S. healthcare system. With the Healthcare Map as our foundation, we offer a suite of powerful software applications that deliver exceptional value to the industry.
Our people are the center of our success. We are a smart, supportive team with diverse perspectives and a shared passion for fixing what’s broken in healthcare. It’s fun, challenging and important. Join us!
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
Komodo aims to build the best healthcare data architecture in the industry, powered by tens of billions of transactions on over 300 million patients. We call it the Healthcare Map, which aims to be the complete and representative picture of the United States healthcare system.
The map will help us and our clients give a deep look into how patients, doctors, hospitals and payers interact. As we are maturing, we are investing in our core data assets, and continually expanding the number and diversity of the data sources we are ingesting.
The data scientist on our Healthcare Map Data Platform team will help us build the Healthcare Map. They will help understand complex healthcare data, how Komodo’s data assets relate to each other, and how to use data to create our data products.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have…
- Closely collaborated with Data Engineers and Product Managers to establish and implement new data products.
- Transformed data from medical claims and publically available data sets to create “canonical data objects” that represent real world entities, such as payer, patient or provider, and which will be used across the organization as sources of truth.
- Gained deep knowledge and understanding of medical claims data and the core entities of the US healthcare system.
- Analyzed Komodo’s healthcare data to characterize individual datasets and assess their relative importance and completeness.
Some of the projects the team is currently working on:
- Building internal tools and dashboards to analyze coverage and completeness of Komodo data assets.
- Using natural language processing and statistical modeling to group disparate health care organizations.
- Grouping multiple data claims into a concept of a visit, to help improve analytics.
- Collaborating with the Data Strategy team to identify gaps in our coverage and assess sample data of new sources that could fit in these gaps.
- Contributing to cross functional effort to clean up and remap various claims data sources.
What you bring to Komodo:
- Keenly analytical mindset and the ability to unearth the necessary context to solve complex problems.
- Strong knowledge of statistics and data science approaches.
- Data Intuition on how to join data sets together without natural id, how to get insights from complex data sets.
- Basic understanding of ML and modeling.
- Experience writing SQL queries and / or scripting with Python.
- Experience working with and improving messy data sets.
- Collaborative mindset and desire to pitch in where help is needed the most.
Curiosity piqued? Learn more about us!
- Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation & Komodo Health partner to fight cancer
- Komodo Health’s ‘Meet a Dragon’ series
- Komodo Health’s $50M Series C funding led by Andreessen Horowitz, Joined by Oak HC/FT
- Komodo’s Values that Drive our Culture
- In Conversation with Dr. Arif Nathoo, Komodo Health’s CEO
At Komodo Health, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Komodo Health is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Full medical, dental and vision benefits
401(k) employer match
Competitive salary and equity compensation
Flexible working hours and unlimited paid time off policy
Personal wellness stipend
Mobility across san francisco and new york city offices
Komodo Health at a glance
Komodo Health focuses on Enterprise Software, Healthcare, Information Technology, Health Care Information Technology, and Big Data. Their company has offices in New York City and San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Komodo Health has raised $50M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.