Koan is the modern leadership platform
Software Developer$90k – $120k • 0.25% – 0.75%
You're a full-stack developer ready to make a huge impact at a dynamic startup. You take pride in what you do, and you're passionate about Koan's mission to help every organization achieve its purpose.
First, a little about Koan.
Most organizations struggle to achieve their strategic goals. Teams work in isolation, priorities get lost, and tracking spreadsheets and emails don't scale. Koan is a suite of software tools that help teams gather insight, build strategic alignment, and engage with each other across timezones and functions.
Our small, venture-backed team includes a founder of Jive Software (NASDAQ:JIVE) and a tight group of experienced developers, all deeply committed to building a world-class company. For us, that means:
- Being curious and taking pride in our work
- Caring about customers
- Making things work, then making them work better
- Documenting and fixing technical debt
- Embracing quality through testing, code review, and continuous integration
- Shipping early and often
- Having some fun while we're at it
We're looking for an energetic developer to help make Koan's vision a reality. Your creativity and technical know-how will make an immediate impact on our product, applications, and team.
In your first two weeks at Koan, you'll:
- Ship a feature crossing our entire stack, from our backend services (Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL, and REST) to our React.js app (TypeScript) in the browser
- Collaborate with teammates through code review, design reviews, and ad-hoc technical discussions
- Understand our high-level architecture and operations
Within two months, you'll:
- Help define and implement significant improvements to Koan's platform
- Share release-management and support responsibilities (we ship daily!) with the rest of the team
- Contribute to discussions around team practices and technology choices
- Participate in interviews and hiring at all stages of our candidate pipeline
- 1+ years of experience with TypeScript (or motivation to learn quickly!)
- 2+ years developing single-page web applications
- Experience using HTTP APIs (we use a mix of GraphQL and REST)
- Familiarity with Git or alternative version-control software
- Familiarity with programming concepts and practices
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with AWS services like S3, Route53, DynamoDB, SQS, and Lambda
- Experience with statically-typed languages (we use TypeScript)
- Experience building API integrations with services like Slack, JIRA, Asana, etc.
Working here has its benefits. As an tight-knit group with a Silicon Valley mindset and a Portland ethos, our team enjoys:
- generous stock grants
- competitive salary
- employer-sponsored 401K accounts
- flexible schedules
- premium health insurance
- great work/life balance
We also offer new parents paid family leave, including for adoptions: 12 weeks paid leave for birthing parents and 10 weeks for their partners. And when you're ready to return to work, we'll work with you on the schedule you need.
Though we're a distributed team, our working hours (typically 9a - 5pm Pacific Time) are inspired by our geographic center in beautiful Portland, Oregon.
Koan is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Koan at a glance
Koan focuses on SaaS and Enterprise Software. Their company has offices in Portland and Palo Alto. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Koan has raised $5M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.