Koan is the modern leadership platform
Senior Software Developer$100k – $140k • 0.25% – 0.75%
You're an experienced full-stack engineer ready to make a huge impact at a dynamic startup. You take pride in what you do, and you're passionate about Koan's mission to help every organization achieve its purpose.
First, a little about Koan.
Most organizations struggle to achieve their strategic objectives. Teams work in isolation, priorities get lost, and tracking spreadsheets and emails don't scale. Koan's modern leadership platform helps leaders gather insight, build strategic alignment, and engage employees across timezones and functions through simple tools like status reports and goals (OKRs).
Our small, venture-backed team includes a founder of Jive Software (NASDAQ:JIVE) and a tight group of experienced developers, all deeply committed to building a world-class company. For us, that means:
- Enjoying a challenge and taking pride in our work
- Building great user experiences
- Caring about customers
- Making things work, then making them work better
- Documenting and fixing technical debt
- Embracing quality through testing, code review, and continuous integration
- Shipping early and often
- Having some fun while we're at it
We're looking for an experienced developer to help make Koan's vision a reality. Your proven ability to ship reliable web applications and friendly APIs will make an immediate impact on our product, architecture, and team.
In your first two weeks at Koan, you'll:
- Participate in code review and lend your experience to technical decisions
- Understand our high-level architecture and operations
- Ship a feature crossing our entire stack, from our backend services (Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL, and REST) to our React.js app (TypeScript) in the browser
Within two months, you'll:
- Own and deliver a key business outcome
- Provide technical and professional mentorship to other members of the team
- Lead by example, setting high standards for the rest of the team
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to define and execute strategic initiatives
- Evangelize team practices and technical decisions
- Participate in interviews and hiring decisions at all stages of our candidate pipeline
- 3+ years of production Node.js experience or a motivation to learn quickly
- 5+ years developing Web applications
- DevOps proficiency with popular AWS services like EC2, S3, Cloudfront, DynamoDB, SQS, and Lambda
- A deep understanding of programming fundamentals
- A formal background in computer science or experience shipping software
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with DynamoDB or another NoSQL database
- Experience with statically-typed languages (we use TypeScript)
- Experience building SaaS integrations with services like Slack, JIRA, Asana, etc.
- Experience designing HTTP APIs (we use a mix of GraphQL and REST)
Working here has its benefits. As an ambitious group with a Silicon Valley mindset and a Portland ethos, our team enjoys:
- generous stock grants
- competitive salary
- employer-sponsored 401K accounts
- flexible schedules
- premium health insurance
- great work/life balance
We also offer new parents paid family leave, including for adoptions: 12 weeks paid leave for birthing parents and 10 weeks for their partners. And when you're ready to return to work, we'll work with you on the schedule you need.
Though we're a distributed team, our working hours (typically 9a - 5pm Pacific Time) are inspired by our geographic center in beautiful Portland, Oregon.
Please direct applications to Angellist, or by reaching out to us at email@example.com.
Koan at a glance
Koan focuses on SaaS and Enterprise Software. Their company has offices in Portland and Palo Alto. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Koan has raised $5M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.