Kapwing is a collaborative platform for creating images, videos, and gifs
Backend & Infrastructure Senior Developer
We’re looking to hire a mid-level or senior full-stack software engineers to join Kapwing and help build a modern video creation platform. As a Backend and Infastructuree software engineer, you will:
- Architect systems to scale our cloud video processor to millions of creators. Solve key engineering challenges related to performance, reliability, and precision of video edits.
- Research new technologies for step-function improvments in cost, uptime, and other performance metrics
- Grow and manage a backend engineeering team. Mentor cross-functional engineers working on full-stack projects.
- Contribute to full-stack projects
- Set up engineering best practices to mitigate risk, monitor releases, and increase quality
This position is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Engineering at the Kapwing HQ in San Francisco.
- 2-8 years of production-level software engineering experience
- Comfortable with React, Node, and python, Has worked with MongoDB, GCP, and Docker.
- Ideal candidate has experience with FFMPEG, large uploads/downloads, or other open-source video technologiese
- (Preferred) Experience with dev ops and automated testing.
- Experience scaling data systems to support millions of users
- Capable of evaluating and incorporating new web technology
- Creative thinker: Thinks of many solutions to a problem
- Entrepreneurial: Excited about joining a small, high-growth team and contributing across all areas of the company
- No ego: There’s a lot we wish we could do but don’t have time for. Must have the ability to put the product’s needs first.
We’re an engineering-heavy team, all interested in learning the latest web technologies and applying them to video, photography, and social media content. Founded by two product managers, Kapwing has a strong design and UX orientation when building new products.
Also, Kapwing pays full-time salaries and offers competitive health benefits. We value diversity across all dimensions and keep reasonable hours. Kapwing is based full-time in San Francisco.
Our technical process is a short, behavioral interview about your engineering experiences, a coding project designed to take less than one day of work, two hours of technical/product interviews, and a lunch with our whole team. We value engineering excellence, product insight, eagerness for growth/impact, and the communication skills and empathy to collaborate well with a tight-knit team.
Julia Enthoven and Eric Lu previously worked together as product managers on the Image Search team at Google. The company was founded in 2017, and bootstrapped to over $100k ARR before raising money mostly through Product Hunt launches, a popular blog on entrepreneurship, and a mastery of SEO.
Competitive health, vision, and dental benefits
Every employee has equity in the company as part of their compensation
We have lunch on the company every day, and we all eat together
Friday happy hours
Team-wide Friday happy hours for everyone at the company plus friends and family
Kapwing at a glance
Kapwing focuses on Digital Media, Social Media, Video, Entertainment, and Video Editing. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Kapwing has raised $12.7M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2019.