Kapwing is a collaborative platform for creating images, videos, and gifs
Full-stack Web Developer
Kapwing empowers digital storytellers, educators, and entertainers. It’s an online image and video platform that helps creators make and share modern media from the browser. We see the power of ephemeral, lower-production value forms of media, like short-form videos and memes, and we want to make it easier to create and share this bite-sized content. We want to enable teams to create multimedia content at scale when both quality and quantity matter.
Videos and animations have never been more important to the world. Join a team that's making a difference and values autonomy and velocity. We’re a Series A startup backed by CRV, Kleiner Perkins, and other top VCs.
We’re looking to hire a mid-level or senior full-stack software engineers to join Kapwing and help build a modern video creation platform. As a software engineer, you will:
- Define, build, and launch full-stack features (React, Node, Express, and Python) for one of the world's most popular cloud-based video editors.
- Implement new features and improvements to Kapwing’s Studio and other core products
- Grow a website from 2 to 10 Million monthly-active users
- Fix bugs and improve performance
- Test new features, monitor releases, and mitigate risk
- Investigate and prototype new technologies and build applications ontop of ML-powered APIs
- Create a culture of engineering excellence by refining our processes, documentation, onboaring and interviewing practices, and other cross-functional systems.
- Collaborate with, mentor, and teach other engineers on your area of expertise. Report progress to leadership.
- (Preferred) Interest in or experience with video engineering (processing, uploads, FFMPEG, etc)
- (Preferred) Passion for serving creative professionsals and interest in media
This position is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Engineering at the Kapwing HQ in San Francisco.
- 2-8 years of production-level software engineering experience
- Experience prototyping and building new products from scratch
- Capable of evaluating and incorporating new web technology
- Super scrappy: Define and quickly execute on MVPs to test out product hypotheses
- Experience with monitoring systems like Sentry, Papertrail, Heroku, etc
- Creative thinker: Thinks of many solutions to a problem. Has several years of engineering experience to inform full-stack brainstorming.
- Entrepreneurial: Excited about joining a small, high-growth team and contributing across all areas of the company
- No ego: There’s a lot we wish we could do but don’t have time for. Must have the ability to put the product’s needs first.
We’re an engineering-heavy team, all interested in learning the latest web technologies and applying them to video, photography, and social media content. Founded by two product managers, Kapwing has a strong design and UX orientation when building new products.
Team Kapwing is scrappy and creative, and we love launching random things for fun. Everyone does a bit of everything, from operations to supporting our customers. We love the creators who use our product and embrace pop culture, design, music, and media trends. We order lunch together, play card games, go on spontaneous offsites, and have happy hour on Fridays.
Also, Kapwing pays full-time salaries and offers competitive health benefits. We value diversity across all dimensions and keep reasonable hours. Kapwing is based full-time in San Francisco.
Our technical process is a short, behavioral interview about your engineering experiences, a coding project designed to take less than one day of work, two hours of technical/product interviews, and a lunch with our whole team. We value engineering excellence, product insight, eagerness for growth/impact, and the communication skills and empathy to collaborate well with a tight-knit team.
Julia Enthoven and Eric Lu previously worked together as product managers on the Image Search team at Google. The company was founded in 2017, and bootstrapped to over $100k ARR before raising money mostly through Product Hunt launches, a popular blog on entrepreneurship, and a mastery of SEO.
Meet your team
Competitive health, vision, and dental benefits
Every employee has equity in the company as part of their compensation
We have lunch on the company every day, and we all eat together
Friday happy hours
Team-wide Friday happy hours for everyone at the company plus friends and family
Kapwing at a glance
Kapwing focuses on Digital Media, Social Media, Video, Entertainment, and Video Editing. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Kapwing has raised $12.7M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2019.