AI-powered decision support for commercial underwriters
Full-Stack Software Engineer (Python + React / JS)$100k – $140k • 0.25% – 0.6%
Software engineers at Kalepa are solving interesting and challenging problems at the intersection of data engineering, distributed systems and microservices, and machine learning. You will be working across the stack, building intuitive and performant frontend apps, APIs to connect multiple services, robust data pipelines, and everything in between. You will be working with a small team of full-stack, data, ML, and DevOps engineers working in a modern stack.
Kalepa is a New York based, VC backed, startup building software to transform and disrupt commercial insurance.
Nearly one trillion ($1T) dollars are spent globally each year on commercial insurance across small, medium, and large enterprises. However, the process for estimating the risk associated with a given business across various perils (e.g. fire, injury, malpractice) is still reliant on inefficient and inaccurate manual forms or outdated and sparse databases. This information asymmetry leads to a broken set of economic incentives and a poor experience for both businesses and insurers alike.
By combining cutting edge data science, enterprise software, and insurance expertise, Kalepa is turning real-world data into a complete understanding of risk – leading to more profitable, efficient, and applicant-friendly insurance underwriting. There are many challenging problems to solve in the insurance industry and a massive opportunity to operate it more profitably and effectively.
Kalepa's team members bring experiences from Facebook, Google, Microsoft, APT (acquired by Mastercard for $600M in 2015), MIT, Berkeley, UPenn, and the Israel Defense Forces.
● You enjoy understanding customer business needs and translating them into specifications or code
● You are excited about using a wide set of technologies, ultimately focused on finding the right tool for the job
● You are energized by building beautiful, easy-to-use apps that our customers will love to use
● You want to design a flexible analytics, data science, and AI framework to transform the insurance industry
● You value open, frank, and respectful communication
● You are a proactive and collaborative problem solver with a “can do” attitude
● You have in-depth knowledge of JS, and hands-on experience with React/Redux
● You have a good understanding of REST API design patterns, website performance testing / optimization, user authentication and session management.
● You are familiar with server-side development in Python and have hands-on experience with Python frameworks
● You have experience with AWS infrastructure
As a plus:
● You have experience with SQL and no-SQL databases
● You have data engineering experience at scale
What you’ll get
● Work with an ambitious, smart, global, and fun team to transform a $1T global industry
● Ground floor opportunity – opportunity to build the foundations for the product, team, and culture alongside the founding team
● Wide-ranging intellectual challenges spanning full-stack software development, AI / ML, and strong design
● Competitive compensation package with a significant equity component
[IMPORTANT NOTE]: Salary ranges are for New York based employees. Compensation for remote roles will be adjusted according to the cost of living and market in the specific geography.
Excellent health insurance
We provide excellent health, dental, and vision insurance. Kalepa covers 95% of the fees for health insurance and 100% of dental and vision insurance fees for individuals and families.
We offer a pre-tax dependent care FSA.
We care about productivity, not hours. While we value collaboration in the office, we are a global team. Kalepa employees can work from home (or from the beach, if they choose to) when needed
Kalepa has an unlimited vacation policy. Recharge when you need to.
Fitness / healthy lifestyle benefits
We give our employees a monthly gym/ healthy living reimbursement