Driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, the Employment Counsel contributes to JUUL Labs’ success by managing a diverse and challenging array of labor and employment matters in support of the company’s 300+ team members. The Employment Counsel will leverage their prior law firm and in-house experience to effectively partner with Human Resources to create internal best practices on managing employee relations matters, oversee the work of outside counsel on employee relations cases, and advise on external agency cases as well as internal employee relations investigations.
* Develop a deep understanding of Company’s business and products and the applicable industry developments and requirements
* Draft, review in conjunction with the Human Resources team employment related agreements and Human Resources related projects.
* Provide advice to the Legal and HR team on employment matters, including interpretation and wage and hour enforcement, best practices and general risk assessments.
* Work collaboratively with a broad range of people and departments throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong working relationships between legal, finance, commercial/marketing, and people services, to facilitate a team based approach.
* Engage with outside counsel to effectively resolve outstanding issues and establish best practices.
* Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
* Develop, harmonize, and implement standardized templates and processes.
* Juggle and successfully prioritize competing and voluminous work streams simultaneously.
* Understand and be able to translate into “plain English” the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks. Provide valuable advice and counsel within the context of the broader business and enterprise level objectives. Manage the deal process to achieve thoughtful, successful and timely results.
* Proactively communicate and manage expectations with multiple stakeholders.
* Prepare and provide presentations to business partners as needed.
* Perform special assignments or projects as needed.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
* Demonstrated business acumen, including the ability to see the “big picture” as well as the relationship of very detailed and specific legal and business issues.
* High degree of organization and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
* Superior written and verbal communication skills (including presentations).
* Demonstrated accountability and keen ability to meet aggressive time frames.
* Ability to build credibility quickly and provide strong legal support for complex and
challenging business opportunities.
* Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments, and oversee areas of
responsibility and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
* Able to make decisions quickly but also seek guidance when appropriate.
* Professional demeanor and ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
* Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different
backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment.
* Personal integrity, sound judgment, and strong ethics in business and personal conduct.
* Adaptable and comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
* A commitment to personal and professional growth and receptivity to feedback.
* Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback
* Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required (CA preferred).
* 4-5 years legal experience (with at least two years at a law firm).
* Prior legal firm experience a plus with compensation analysis preferred.
* Ability to review, understand, analyze, and interpret employment agreements.
* Contract drafting and negotiating experience required.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
* Excellent organizational and analytical skills required.
* Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
* Ability to manage multiple, con...
Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family.
With 4% matching.
Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success.
Snacks & drinks
Boundless snacks and drinks. Catered lunch daily.
Cell phone subsidy and commuter benefits.
A place to grow
We’ll help you set big goals, then watch you exceed them.
Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
JUUL Labs at a glance
JUUL Labs focuses on E-Commerce, Consumer Goods, B2B, Consumer Electronics, and Leisure. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, JUUL Labs has raised $14.407B of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.