A next-generation life insurance business
VP of Business Development$160k – $240k
***Our venture-backed start-up is seeking a gritty, resilient Business Development leader who is interested in building the Jenny Life sales partnership ecosystem, including channel strategy. This person will be the point lead for integrating Jenny Life firmly into the marketplace.
**The VP of Business Development reports to CEO/COO.
Preference for candidates located in Seattle or the San Francisco / Bay Area – relocation provided or can work remotely, but with substantial travel.*
- NO “Ticket Punchers”
- Real Startup experience mandatory (sold new product or service to existing channels, fought against incumbent providers, made magic happen).
- 3-5 years of Sales and Business Development experience minimum.
- Though not required, preference for candidate with two+ years at a top tier consulting firm (Bain, BCG, McKinsey, Deloitte. Etc.)
- A deep rolodex and the network to quickly identify and open up new accounts
Example Companies where you may have worked or accounts you might have called on: Some Startups: e.g. Brandless, Home Chef, Maven Health, 23 and Me, Dollar Shave Club, Allbirds, Zulily, Glossier, Pinterest, StitchFix, Boxed, allbirds, CoverApp, Modern Fertility, classpass, AirBnB, DropBox, Instacart, Robinhood, Warby Parker, Snapchat, Maven
Potential Prior Industry Experience: Disney, Netflix, Dove, P&G, PepsiCo, Nike, Diageo, Kellogg, Johnson and Johnson, Clorox, L’Oreal, Starbucks, Capital One, Apple, IKEA, H&M, The Limited, YUM!
Potential Prior Retail Partnership Development: Starbucks, Costco, Amazon, REI, Nordstrom, Sephora, Victoria Secret
Potential Prior Product/CPG: RxBar, GoodRx, Chobani, Plum Organics, Bob strollers, Melissa & Doug, Babyganics, ErgoBaby, Nuk, Britax, California Baby, Beyond Meat, Spotify, Lyft, Casper, KeVita, Kind Bar, SweetGreen, Peloton, Warby Parker, Bonobos, Lululemon, Athleta, Honest Co, Soylent, Oscar Health, WalMart, Spanx.
No need for Ivy/Arrogance, but would value these: University of Chicago, MIT, Duke, Stanford, West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Cal Berkley, UCLA, Georgetown, Notre Dame, University of Michigan, Tufts, Southern Methodist University, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Washington, University of Maryland, BYU, University of Texas
MBA optional, not necessary…
- Prefer athlete – competitive mindset
- Must be highly presentable and articulate
- Must be affable, smart, entrepreneurial, aggressive
- Must be coachable
- Must have leadership presence
- Must be able to travel
- Must feel comfortable working with founders and Board level audience engaged in the business
- Must be interested in playing a role in creating our corporate culture
- Must be able to recruit and retain people
- Must have a sense of urgency and hustle
- You will be helping us approach and win partnership accounts that will lead to large distribution opportunities
- You will have ownership of outcomes with partnerships and channel development (e.g. worksite, digital distributors, and others we haven’t even imagined yet)