Instant Working Capital
Data Scientist£60k – £100k
Who are we?
iwoca is breaking down the barriers that stop Europe’s 20 million small businesses from accessing finance. Traditional bank loans have slow application processes, inflexible terms and burdensome criteria. In contrast, we use cutting-edge technology to offer flexible access to credit with a five minute application process and a decision in seconds.
Since 2012, we've lent over £1 billion to over 50,000 businesses across Europe. Our customers include everything from cafés to car dealers, salons to solicitors. Along the way we have built a sophisticated technology platform, won numerous awards and grown a fun, and vibrant team.
However, we’re still near the start of our journey – our aim is to finance a million small businesses within a decade and so we need more smart, hands-on people to help us reach this goal.
We are looking for Data Scientists from strong analytical backgrounds that can take potentially ambiguous, real-world business problems and formulate statistical solutions, which can be implemented in a pragmatic way. We’re looking for people who understand the limitations and assumptions of such a modelling process and can generate actionable insights and build effective predictive models.
- High calibre and diverse team of data scientists with a range of expertise.
- All members of the team have strong analytical backgrounds in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering etc, some with PhDs in their respective field.
- Broad and significant engagement in all steps of the problem solving process, including specification, solution proposal, implementation and delivery.
- Our development cycle is tight and incorporates elements of Agile processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
- We value personal development, constructive feedback, sharing knowledge and trying innovative solutions to problems.
What do we do?:
- Application of statistical modelling and machine learning techniques.
- Delivery of data driven solutions and predictions for a diverse range of business problems, including risk assessment and contact prioritisation.
- Development of real-time data pipelining and delivery of ML predictions.
- A/B testing and data analysis using statistical methods to generate insights and optimise existing and future business processes.
- Multi-disciplinary projects with the wider tech team and business stakeholders.
- Strong analytical background, e.g PhD or degree in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Established experience from working in industry or an academic data analyst/scientist position.
- Experience with statistical data analysis, ability to generate well founded insights from potentially unstructured data.
- Proven practical experience of predictive modelling and pragmatic implementation of machine learning techniques to effectively solve real-world problems.
- Someone that isn't satisfied with just applying out-of-the-box models, you want to know how they work, when they work and why they work.
- Practical object-oriented programming experience: Python, Java, C/C++ or similar.
- Experience with some of the common Python data-science toolkits: Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-learn OR experience with R, Matlab, and/or SQL would also be beneficial.
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously in a relatively unconstrained environment.
- A healthy skepticism and desire to build innovative, but practical, solutions to business problems.
- Love for coding and getting hands-on with the raw data to really understand the underlying processes and nuances of the problem.
What’s life like as an iwocan?
We all enjoy:
- Bright, modern office spaces in Tottenham Court Road and Covent Garden
Two company retreats a year (in places like the French Alps or Spanish seaside)
Pool, ping pong, foosball tables and tournaments and yoga
An ever-growing number of clubs including climbing, chess, football and boxing
Plenty of drinks and snacks in our office kitchen
A paid volunteering day each year, for you to support your chosen charity
Just for you:
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- Stock options
- Enhanced maternity and shared parental leave
- A workplace nursery tax benefit scheme
- 25 days holiday per year and an extra day off on your birthday
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- Special celebrations for anniversaries and long service including sabbatical
- Flexible working
- Cycle-to-work scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer:
- Tickets to tech conferences across Europe
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- A calendar of meetups we host at our office
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code.
iwoca at a glance
iwoca focuses on Financial Services, E-Commerce, Credit, and Fin Tech. Their company has offices in London. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, iwoca has raised $46.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2016.