Bring intelligence to medical data
Database Developer€40k – €45k
About the job
The IOMED Data Engineer team is responsible for managing large volumes of data in the healthcare environment and we seek to incorporate into this team a passionate about databases who, in addition to managing the database, has the confidence to extend the capabilities of this, programming and designing ad-hoc modules for our needs.
At IOMED we have a federated database built on PostgreSQL. Currently, what we are looking for is an engineer with a solid experience in building systems and with knowledge of C (or similar), who understands both query optimization and the internal workings of database systems and, ideally, whether you're a PostgreSQL expert or show interest and quick aptitude to become an expert. Plus, you should be excited about the prospect of scaling and making sense of the flood of health data.
The main functions of the position will be:
- Develop, optimize, and maintain components of our federated database.
- Modify and adapt the data model.
- Optimization of data pipelines.
You will collaborate with the rest of the Data Engineer team by analyzing and understanding data sources, participating in the design, and providing information and guidance on database technology and data modeling best practices. In this role, you will also work closely with the systems administration team.
It is important to have at least two years of professional experience working in a Data Engineering department, preferably as a database administrator or as a backend developer responsible for the database, in a fast-paced environment and a complex business environment.
In terms of personality, we are looking for someone who works well in a team, can teach and learn from others, and maintain fluent communication about the tasks that are being carried out with the members of the non-technical team.
Things You Might Do
For this position, it is important to feel comfortable giving support to the rest of the team and adapting to it. Additionally, the specific tasks that will be carried out in this position are:
- Consult, model, and implement with PostgreSQL.
- Develop, optimize, and publish new features and functionalities of our database.
- Test, register, measure, and alert of the services deployed.
- Monitor existing metrics, analyze data, and collaborate with others to identify and implement systems and process improvements.
- Ensuring that the data collected is of high quality and optimal for use across the team and the overall business.
What we are looking for
- Experience of more than two years working with:
- C, C ++ or C #, Java, Ada, or Rust.
- SQL dialects.
- It is desirable to have worked with procedural query languages (PL /SQL or T-SQL or PL / pgSQL).
- Specialization in popular open-source relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, MariaDB, or similar.
- Be familiar with highly replicated systems or have implemented distributed SQL databases such as CockroachDB, Citus, Cassandra, or similar.
What we offer
- Full-time permanent contract.
- Gross annual wage: 40.000-45.000€.
- Company profit-sharing scheme.
- Flexible schedule, with the possibility of home office once a week.
- A warm, transparent, and supportive team, with a huge emphasis on work-life balance.
- Most days, lunch together on our sunny terrace.
- The opportunity to make your mark in e-health and AI.
IOMED is a technological company of software development. It was launched in 2016, funded by local and international ventures.
We are passionate and talented young professionals, from all around Spain and the world (It couldn't be any other way, as we're based in beautiful and bright Barcelona). Our “dream team” is made up of mathematicians, statisticians, bioinformaticians, and physicians.
We are looking for people who are eager to innovate and be part of a project with an impact on the healthcare industry, enjoying what we do, team-work, and taking on new challenges.
IOMED is an equal opportunity employer. We are still a small team and are committed to growing in an inclusive manner. We want to augment our team with talented, dynamic people irrespective of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.
What we do
Nowadays, around 50% of Clinical Trials are delayed due to patient recruitment, since patient data collection is performed in a manual fashion. As a result, clinical research is highly inefficient both in time and cost, taking years and billions of dollars to develop a new drug.
This problem could be solved through Real World Data, i.e. derived from Electronic health records (EHR). But unfortunately, up to 85% of existing clinical data is unstructured, i.e. in plain text. This also leads, in part, to the existence of data silos, making it impossible to aggregate data from different hospitals.
IOMED has found the solution to this situation, making it possible to take advantage of the full value of clinical Real World Data. We developed a tool that extracts the necessary data from clinical texts, which results in a structured, standardized, and interoperable database that contains the complete clinical information from hospitals.
By this means, non-reusable information is transformed into data available for Clinical Research, allowing an enormous increase in criteria-compliant patients and a reduction of total time and manual labor devoted to this task.
IOMED at a glance
IOMED focuses on Healthcare, Artificial Intelligence, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in Barcelona. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, IOMED has raised $120K of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2017 at a valuation of $1M.