Specializing in genetic diagnostics for hereditary disorders
Bioinformatics Engineer, Assay Development
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our development teams design and develop fully-automated, high-throughput next generation sequencing-based genetic tests from concept through commercial launch. We are constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information to doctors and patients.
As part of our Assay Tools team, you will help ensure that we can grow the breadth and scale of genetic tests on our menu. You will apply your knowledge of computer science, statistics, and NGS to analyze, improve, and develop an expanding set of modern assays. You will work and learn among an extraordinary set of peers: bioinformaticians, molecular biologists, and software engineers. Your work will directly impact early development work focused on improving the quality and capability of our products.
What you’ll do:
- Design and improve genomic assays that help diagnose hundreds of thousands of people a year
- Work with molecular biologists, software engineers, and clinical scientists to expand the content and quality of hyb-capture based assays
- Build new tools to support rapidly adding new content and automate evaluation of assay performance
What you bring:
- A working knowledge of genomic diagnostic assays, including high-throughput sequencing
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to collaborative software projects in Python
- Experience working in a high throughput computing environment such as AWS or Grid Engine
- Ability to work independently to troubleshoot problems and perform root cause analyses
- Desire to work on applied problems, process improvement and scalability
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and data presentation skills
- Preferred: 2+ years experience working within an industry bioinformatics role
- Preferred: Detailed understanding of modern variant calling packages (i.e., GATK) and common methods and metrics used in high throughput DNA sequencing analysis
- Preferred: Experience integrating data across complex enterprise software environments
- Preferred: Experience working in the Python data science ecosystem (Jupyter, pandas, numpy)
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Take advantage of comprehensive benefits, including health, dental, and vision.
Have peace of mind with generous vacation days ("take all the time you need; don't let your team down") and an excellent family leave policy.
We offer competitive salaries and equity in a rapidly growing company.
Work how you want
We make work easy with flexible working hours, the computer and accessories of your choice, and opportunities to work from home.
Invitae at a glance
Invitae focuses on Biotechnology. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Austin, Boston, and Seattle. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Invitae has raised $195.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014.