Easy chat-based issue tracking
Software Engineer$80k – $130k • 0.5% – 2.5%
Every engineer has heard some form of the question "did you update the ticket?".
Hearing it doesn't feel great. At best, it means one more thing on your to-do list. At worst, it signals a breakdown in communication.
Instantish's goal is to create a world where no one ever has to ask this question.
We believe if your issues are out-of-date, that's not a people problem. It's a product problem. So it's solvable.
What are we doing to reach this goal?
- Building an issue tracker that lives in your chat (meaning it's 10 times easier to keep up-to-date).
- Working with teams to find a truly minimalist issue tracking process.
A few trends Instantish is planning for
- Work will continue to feel less like work. Teams will communicate faster and more casually (in chat, voice, and video formats), and will expect their tools to be there too.
- Planning/collaborating/communicating will be more widely recognized as a high-leverage part of the engineering process. See Tanya Reilly's talk on Glue Work.
- Early-stage startups will increasingly value tools that help them start shipping meaningful product in their first week.
As the first engineering hire, this role has a lot of responsibility. Your job isn't just shipping code, but making the teams that use our product better and faster (as it relates to issue tracking).
- Writing clear, maintainable, scalable code across the web frontend, backend, infrastructure, and integration products.
- Creating and championing engineering best practices.
- Interviewing, participating in hiring decisions, and onboarding new engineers.
- Dogfooding and giving feedback on the product. Diligent issue tracking is our not-so-secret advantage when it comes to shipping quickly and consistently.
- Talking to customers openly about their issue tracking needs. Many of our early teams love to be a part of the process.
- Shaping and maintaining a high-quality analytics strategy. Every new feature incorporates analytics, and if the numbers aren't adding up, we scrap it.
When applying, please include a short note (<5 lines) sharing the following:
- Your past experience shipping quickly and scaling products.
- Why you think issue tracking is important.
Thanks for your time,