We're building an OS that will fundamentally change how people and businesses build and consume apps
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)$125k – $175k • 0.0% – 0.15%
Founded in 2015, Instabase's mission is to advance the state of the art by building tools that help people solve important problems, make discoveries, and create new breakthroughs.
Instabase is an operating system designed for operational efficiency. It uses the web browser as the user interface, a pluggable storage system for managing data (files and databases), and an app store for applications. These applications run on the Instabase Platform, which provides the core management capabilities for managing diverse, distributed datasets; support for collaboration and access control; and a runtime for Instabase Applications.
The applications include state of the art tools for  processing a diverse set of unstructured data (scanned images, PDFs, word/excel documents, emails, websites, etc.),  running extensible functions with a server-less framework,  machine learning (natural language processing, image processing, classification, clustering, etc.), and  data science.
Our customers include large enterprises with huge operational costs in a variety of domains, such as financial services (e.g. banks, insurance), healthcare, logistics/supply chain.
As a non-profit initiative, Instabase provides a hosted IPython-style notebook for education, which is widely used by universities (Stanford, MIT, Columbia, University of Chicago, etc.), for teaching classes. The Stanford Dean of Engineering Jennifer Widom used Instabase as the platform for her 2016-17 Instructional Odyssey, a year-long sabbatical in which she traveled the world offering free short courses in data and design.
As part of SRE/DevOps team at Instabase, we build:
- development tools: building CI/CD pipelines
- infrastructure-as-code deployment tooling, support services on multiple cloud providers and on-premises
- metrics, monitoring, logging, configurations, analytics and alerting for performance and security across all endpoints and applications
As a SRE/DevOps Engineer at Instabase, you will be responsible for:
- researching, evaluating, developing and deploying new applications. You'll have a large degree of autonomy.
- deploying, improving, and maintaining highly available systems and services
- leveraging both system and software engineering skills in order to address the needs of the teams
Our infrastructure is written in Go, Python, Java, and C++ and operates using the micro-services model. We use Docker and Kubernetes for our deployments.
Working in this area requires knowledge in one or more of the following:
- B.S. in Computer Science (or equivalent major)
- 3+ years experience in Software Engineering and DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering, or equivalent field
- Expert in troubleshooting performance and behavioral problems in Linux-based systems
- Fundamentals of Distributed Systems
- RPC Frameworks: Thrift, gRPC
- Proficiency in a language such as Java, Python, or Go
- Deep familiarity with containers and related security best practices
- Deep familiarity with container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes
- Experience working with a cloud provider such as AWS, GCloud, and in-house data centers
- Experience managing and developing highly-available and distributed software
- Exposure to infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as Terraform
Instabase is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all forms. Instabase does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other unlawful factor. Instabase also complies with local laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Instabase at a glance
Instabase focuses on Information Technology, Cloud Computing, Machine Learning, Business Information Systems, and Artificial Intelligence. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, New York, Boston, and Bengaluru. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Instabase has raised $131.97M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019 at a valuation of $1.005B.