Building the future of multiplayer
Commercial Manager, Defence
We believe in the power of scientific simulations coupled with cutting-edge gaming technology to transform decision making and planning in highly uncertain, rapidly evolving, complex environments. In the National Security and Defence sector, a unique opportunity exists to impact high stakes real-world outcomes by enabling decision makers to explore, interact and experiment with rich simulations of interconnected real world systems – what we refer to as a single synthetic environment. Our goal is to enable the large scale adoption of single synthetic environments by governments and international institutions, to promote a collective path towards a shared, more accurate, deeper understanding of the world.
Improbable Defence develops a software platform that enables the creation of these single synthetic environments, aiming to capture for the first time the multi-domain complexity that is pervasive in modern military operations, and to provide a full simulation-supported workflow; from understanding a scenario, to planning an operation, rehearsing and training.
Single synthetic environments give decision makers a constantly improving picture on how to best prepare for crises and threats. Improbable’s platform offers new capabilities to the defence industry with a library of models and ecosystem of partners, enabling defence developers to reuse and repurpose existing models and build new models of the real world in a fast, efficient and iterative way.
The PM group in our Defence division is responsible for the successful, profitable and on-time delivery of significantly complex programmes in a manner that sustains and deeps customer relationships underpinning the success of the company.
You will provide commercial advice aiming for the agreement and flawless execution of clear and balanced contracts which will form the baseline of our projects and for the assistance we receive from partner organisations.
This may include activities such as:
- Preparing Statements of Work and other contractual annexes.
- Negotiating commercial aspects of contracts with our partners and customers as needed.
- Contract administration and correspondence, such as invoicing, ensuring that any contractual obligations for declarations and disclosures are made on time.
- Manage expirations, renewals, key events and post-execution workflow.
- Supporting project managers to understand the obligations of their contracts, including DEFCONs where applicable.
- Supporting project managers to define subcontract statements of work and assisting in monitoring that partners discharge their contractual obligations appropriately.
- Review contracts to ensure that they are fully compliant to support business needs, mitigate commercial and legal risks, and drive appropriate supplier performanceSupporting bid activities, for example ensuring that commercial declarations are made correctly.
- Performing due diligence checks on partner organisations to confirm they are fit and proper to do business with and maintain a list of approved suppliers with record of contracts and usersProcessing standard NDAs.
- Process import/export applications and documentation.
- As our first Defence commercial officer, you will provide the leadership to build our commercial capability, acumen and team as we evolve and grow in the market, initially in the UK and in the future internationally.
You will work closely with our legal team, who will lead on the drafting and negotiation of contractual terms and conditions, and our partner success team who are responsible for our partner ecosystem.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You have 6-10 years experience in industry, ideally in an equivalent role.
- You have experience negotiating and supporting the execution of UK Defence contracts and subcontracts.
- You are familiar with typical MoD and UK government software and technology contracts.
- You have experience working in innovative, agile teams which challenge market norms.
- Through studies or career experience, you have an understanding of the software development lifecycle.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.