Building the future of multiplayer
Lead Software Engineer (Distributed Systems)
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
The platform, tools and data framework that we are developing enable modellers and engineers to create and run some of the largest, most complex, and realistic simulations ever built. These simulations enable government and defence organisations to better understand and prepare for action in complex environments so that they can preserve peace and minimise damage and loss of life.
You will build the high availability and fault-tolerant service architecture required to support many users concurrently performing data analysis, running simulations, participating in training exercises and interrogating results.
Our core engineering teams are focussed on building complete product solutions to tough engineering problems. Overview of our division: bit.ly/2lt8DnI
- Contribute to building a next generation product which will help governments gain a richer understanding of their most critical problems through the power of synthetic environments.
- Leverage your knowledge of microservice architectures to provide our applied scientists and model engineers with the building blocks that they need to create flexible and scalable data analyse pipelines.
- Collaborate with other members of our multi-disciplinary team to optimise the end-to-end process of preparing data, running simulations and analysing results; reducing the time it takes for our customers to answer the most critical and time-sensitive questions.
- Design scalable, fault tolerant, self-healing service architectures that run on Docker and Kubernetes in a variety of commercial and secure cloud environments.
- Utilise pub/sub and message queue technologies to create flexible and extensible data processing solutions.
- Build robust, low latency, high availability services using Go and gRPC.
- Design and implement RESTful APIs.
- Contribute to the architecture of our simulation platform.
- Integrate all services with our AAA system and ensure that we are taking a rigorous approach to security throughout our platform.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You are a capable backend engineer with experience designing and developing large-scale distributed systems using service oriented architectures.
- You have a track record of developing web services, preferably using Go and gRPC but we'll consider all relevant backgrounds.
- You have experience deploying applications using Docker and Kubernetes.
- You have an understanding of underlying internet technologies (HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP)You are passionate about sharing knowledge, learning and collaborating with others.
- You are pragmatic and able to identify the most impactful work among competing requirements.
- You drive integration efforts across teams and the tech stack.
- You are skilled in Object Oriented or Functional programming.
Nb: While we think the above experience could be important, we can’t predict the future and so we’re keen to hear from applicants that believe they have valuable experience. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the suggestions, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.