Building the future of multiplayer
Lead QA Tester, Defence
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military. Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
The Quality Engineering group aims to provide easy-to-use and useful tools and frameworks for our Defence engineering division, and the partners and vendors that we collaborate with. This enables them to test, release and operate their high-quality products quickly, reliably, repeatedly, safely and with confidence. Shipping the highest quality software to our customers and partners will be central to the long-term success of our simulation platforms.
You will play a leadership role as part of a cross functional team supporting a range of Quality Assurance (QA) tasks, including leading on:
/ Collaborating closely with projects and functions to understand their needs in order to recommend a functional and non-functional test approach customised to their individual needs and eventual outcomes.
/ Working within a testing practice to assign the right people to deliver the work to support the projects in flight.
/ Helping to grow a world class testing practice within Improbable Defence.
/ Looking at quality as an overall holistic which covers all the processes and products we develop so as to suggest refinements and/or throwing in the bin.
/ Delivering evergreen and reusable learning and development materials to teach people to use tools, techniques and methods to improve how they test.
/ Applying curiosity and imagination to everything that you do.
/ A willingness to take on a mastery of testing modelling and simulations in collaboration with the applied science function.
/ Regularly taking on a hands on role within their testing capabilities and skills.
Areas for Impact:
- You will join a team at it’s foundation, growing and leading a best-in-class testing culture and directly contributing to the success of our distributed simulation platforms.
- You will lead implementation of exploratory testing practices to support delivery for the software stacks we support.
- Where appropriate, you will help surface quality metrics and narratives to help the division get a better insight into its software throughout the development life cycle.
- You will review and improve the release processes of the various teams, identify and resolve any bottlenecks that prevent faster and more frequent releases.
- You will educate development teams on the best practices of quality development via consultancy, communities of practice and grassroots mentoring.
- You will be the domain expert and voice of quality and rigour through testing, automation, continuous integration, delivery and monitoring.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- You have experience leading an established testing function and are happy to lead by example.
- You regard testing as a craft and practice it accordingly.
- You can demonstrate experience mentoring others and developing testers in line with their career aspirations.
- You advocate for exploratory testing as an alternative or complementary practice to automation.
- You have a deep knowledge of exploratory testing practices that you would be happy to apply as part of a role in a delivery team.
- You possess comprehensive knowledge of the fundamentals of testing in a context-driven way.
- You can profile risk at every level of the tech stack.
- You're able to show throughout your career a continuous appetite to learn new technologies and approaches.
- You have the desire to share your skills and knowledge with others.
- You can demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and adaptability to new situations.
- You love testing!
It would be a bonus if you have experience testing software products for, or within, the Defence sector with bonus points for platform or simulation technologies.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.