Software Developer in Test (SDET), Defence
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
The Quality function aims to provide easy-to-use and useful tools and frameworks for our Defence engineering division, and the partners and vendors that we collaborate with. This enables them to test, release and operate their high-quality products quickly, reliably, repeatedly, safely and with confidence. Shipping the highest quality software to our customers and partners will be central to the long-term success of our simulation platforms.
Areas for Impact
- You will help design & build a range of test tools and frameworks to ensure high-quality software delivery to our customers and partners.
- You will join a team at it’s foundation, growing a best-in-class testing culture and directly contributing to the success of our distributed simulation platforms.
- You will help implement continuous integration and delivery for the software stacks we support.
- You will review and improve the release processes of the various teams, identify and resolve any bottlenecks that prevent faster and more frequent releases.
- You will educate teams on the software development best practices via consultancy, communities of practice, bottom up grassroots.
- You will be the domain expert and voice of quality and rigour through testing, automation, continuous integration, delivery and monitoring.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You have experience developing test tools, frameworks and harnesses in a modern, cloud-based software environment.
- You have experience building test automation frameworks and toolsets from one or more of the following perspectives: unit, UI, API, integration, end-to-end, performance and/or security.
- Experience developing testing strategies for cloud-based applications, especially those related to Kubernetes.
- Experience in executing and analysing test run results.
- You enjoy solving hard problems and developing simple tools and processes so everyone can solve those hard problems. You are pragmatic and a natural collaborator with the ability and desire to help other developers improve their development, workflow and testing practices.
- You are meticulous about fixing or depreciating tests that need it.
- You have experience of integrating automation tests into the build process e.g. Hudson, Jenkins
- You have experience with high-volume IT systems, understanding of their architecture and SLAs
- You have experience releasing software in production via continuous integration and delivery systems (i.e. Jenkins, Buildkite, or other commercial solutions) and familiar with their setup and maintenance.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.