Building the future of multiplayer
Senior Build Engineer
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
You will be a foundational hire in our newly formed UK Games Studio, helping us build the next generation of Games on our SpatialOS platform.
As part of the Improbable Game Studio, you will have an opportunity to define the next generation of deeply interactive online experiences. Help us create games that allow for new depths of simulation, destruction, and physical interaction at an unprecedented scale. Our technology allows us to experiment with genuinely new mechanics, both big and small. We're learning new skills within a massively networked environment that we believe is the future of gaming.
Areas for impact
- You will be a key senior member of the build engineering team
- Your role is to help design and build a world class build system to help deliver key project goals
- You care about the software you create and value the quality of build processes and tools over rapid development
- You strive to collaborate with other developers to find elegant solutions, and understand how to gather requirements for the systems you create
- You are delivery focused and push to set the bar for how we implement features on the project
- As a Senior Build Engineer you will be expected to drive the development of our technology and build processes forward to improve the delivery of quality content for the game.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You have experience as a Build Engineer working end-to-end on projects with an understanding of the entire process
- You have an excellent understanding of build engineering practices such as CI, source control, bug tracking, automated testing etc.
- You’re excellent in self-managing workloads through Jira or another tracking methodology
- You can identify issues and propose solutions that improve the software development process build pipeline
- You’re able to choose the best tool for the job and keep up with the industry in having a good awareness of modern build tools
- You have 3+ years experience in build engineering
- Ideally you have experience with Unreal Engine 4 (preferable)
- You may have experience with any popular cloud hosting provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- You’re able to create tutorials, guides or other important documentation for more junior staff members
- You’re able to mentor more junior members of the software team
- You’re skilled in one or more common scripting languages (Python, Bash, Powershell, etc).
NB. While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.