Building the future of multiplayer
Senior Front-End Engineer, Defence
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
will be to join a growing team as a senior engineer, with immediate opportunity for impact, on a brand new platform for decision making and virtual training.
You will be working on customer projects building web applications for operational planning, tactical training, and decision support. We are very early in our journey and there are various parts to this that are worth unpacking.
These applications allow users to create and design plans for scenarios to be simulated.
Secondly, our applications are the interface to the simulation engine. Users can run complex models, many times, at scale. A critical part of value we deliver for clients is letting them leverage complex data generated by the models for better analytics. This involves designing and building solutions to how we visualise information, both geospatially and temporally.
We've written about the product we're building in more detail here: https://bit.ly/2Vksmri
Areas for Impact
- You will contribute to opinions, best practices and technology choices to set us up for delivering the best possible solutions to our customers
- .You will work closely with product managers, designers and scientific modellers to help determine and design what we will build.Write coherent, logically abstracted and well structured code.
- Collaborate closely and effectively with members of other engineering teams to find the best path to delivering a high quality solution.
- You will determine the best methods for extracting long-term product value from our customer projects.
- You will be the Solution Delivery lead on customer projects to ensure the technical and delivery success of the project.
- Help to grow and mentor a team of front-end and full stack engineers.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Experience engineering Single Page Web Applications with a modern framework (React, Vue, Angular etc.)
- Experience working with back-end systems OR a background in Computer Science
- Typescript, React, Redux, GoLang are a plus but not mandatory
- Fluency with React (or similar libraries/frameworks like Vue or Angular) on data-intensive web applications is a plus
- Experience working on high performance web applications, or a background in Computer Science.
- You’re considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork.
- Read more in our briefing pack here
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Improbable at a glance
Improbable focuses on Information Technology, Video Games, Defense, Software, and Gamification. Their company has offices in Seattle, Washington DC, London, and Edmonton. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Improbable has raised $520M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.