Centralized, searchable meeting notes that keep teams connected!
Senior Backend Engineer$18k – $24k • 0.1% – 0.25%
Hugo is a meeting workflow solution that helps teams work better together - connecting meeting notes to the people and tools in your company so that everyone can be on the same page without being in the same room.
We do this by organizing notes based on your calendar - what meeting you’re in and who else is attending - as well as integrating with the rest of your work apps.
Easily prepare for meetings, action takeaways and push information out to colleagues with ease.
Hugo is backed by Google, Slack, Founder Collective and Entrée Capital. We also recently ranked #2 on ProductHunt for best app of the day and are partnering with collaboration leaders like Atlassian, Zoom, and Zapier. See our press coverage here.
As a self-serve B2B SaaS business, we’re looking for a hungry, senior backend engineer who knows how to design and build performant systems. You’ll be responsible for implementing new functionality within Hugo’s core product, maintaining existing code and functionality, and improving/refactoring existing systems for maintainability, scalability, and extensibility.
Implementing new functionality within Hugo’s core product
- Help define new product requirements & specifications
- Cleanly incorporate new functionality/features alongside existing functionality
- Writing backend code within our Node.js application
- Create, modify, extend Node.js backend APIs to power new functionality and features
Maintaining existing code and functionality
- Collaborate with other remote developers, participate in peer-reviews, review pull requests from other developers on the team
- Diagnose and resolve bugs within the existing codebase
- Refactoring complex or problematic code as needed to improve long-term maintainability, scalability and extensibility of the codebase
- Build upon our test suite with new unit and integration tests
- Analyze high-traffic / high-volume areas of the system to identify opportunities to improve scalability and optimize performance (analyzing & optimizing high-volume database queries, refactoring logic of critical systems to optimize CPU time and query load on datastores)
- Share knowledge and best practices with our full-stack dev team
- Become a key member of the founding Hugo team and contribute to our direct, “do-what-it-takes” culture, as much as you’ll contribute to developing elegant technical solutions
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience
- Strong Computer Science background and understanding of algorithms and data structures
- History developing and supporting actual applications that have seen production usage with a large-scale user base
- Complete understanding of how to write secure code and an awareness of common web application security vulnerabilities
- Knowledge of modern web technologies like React and Node.js
- Experience building on top of an AWS infrastructure
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with standard software tools - Git, continuous integration/development
- Appreciation for testing and the ability to write specs
- Competent at speaking English
- Pragmatic mindset - understand the business goals behind your work and how that influences architectural trade-offs
- Excitement for learning new technologies and teaching our team new ones too
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Enjoys autonomy and shaping the engineering culture and product direction
- Responds well to feedback and capable of giving feedback to teammates too
How to know if you’ll gel with the team?
We’re a passionate, distributed and hard-working group. We built Hugo to solve a problem we experienced ourselves and love selling it to help other teams unleash their potential. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but pride our team culture on one that welcomes people who are direct, highly collaborative and want to be part of a team that functions as an idea meritocracy - the best idea always wins, whoever it comes from.
We want you to be a part of the founding team and be able to feel pride in a few years to see the awesome product that you helped build, powering millions of workers all over the world.
Meet your team
Coverage for medical, eye and dental
Hugo at a glance
Hugo focuses on SaaS, Meeting Software, Productivity Software, and Knowledge Management. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees. To date, Hugo has raised $6.1M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2020.