Flight Research & Predictions
Senior Software Engineer – Microservices - Air Foundation
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
THE ROLEA stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the world-class engineering team at the company that’s redefining how people travel. As Senior Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
Our Air Foundation team is in charge of building and maintaining a reliable and scalable platform on which we can serve our flights customers, from the moment they search for a flight to the moment they return from their trip, by introducing self-serve, fully automated solutions. We also empower our operations and feature development teams by providing tools and platforms.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Build automated solutions that simplify the customer service journey
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Passion for building engaging user experiences
- Experience building automated solutions to simplify complicated manual processes
- Interest and experience with site reliability engineering practices
- Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
- Experience or curiosity to learn distributed system development in Scala
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Software Developers, and highly skilled travel agents
- Ability to focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- A desire to help its team to continuously improve
Full medical, dental, and vision benefits. Life insurance. Long and short-term disability plans. All on us.
Competitive salary. Company stock options. Commuter benefits. 401(k) and RSP retirement savings plan.
Flexible work schedule and vacation plan. Emergency travel assistance. IATA card.
Fully covered public transit fees for any employee who request it!
Hopper at a glance
Hopper focuses on E-Commerce, Online Travel, Big Data, Apps, and Travel. Their company has offices in New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, and Montreal. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Hopper has raised $253M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.