Flight Research & Predictions
Senior Data Analyst - Air
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
THE ROLE Hopper is looking for a data-savvy individual to lead data-centric product development and complex business intelligence projects within our core air travel business unit. In this role you would draw powerful insights from our real-time feed of billions of flight search results and archives of several trillion data points. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, passion, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of Hopper users.
- Partner with product, business and strategy teams to leverage this user understanding to drive product improvements and other initiatives
- Use machine learning and big data tools on tremendously large and complex data sets to enhance our data-driven, personalized travel advice
- Construct and manage a continuous series of A/B experiments to measure the business impact of both user facing and back end system changes
- Conduct research into various aspects of our business and employ statistical and modeling techniques when appropriate to make recommendations to non-technical stakeholders
- Create advanced dashboards for product experiment tracking and business unit performance analysis using Amplitude and Tableau
- Find effective ways to simplify and communicate analyses to a non-technical audience.
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or another quantitative discipline
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at a Business to Consumer company
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical output to a non-technical audience
- A strong passion for and extensive experience in conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
- Demonstrated expertise with a data visualization tool (Tableau preferred) and project analysis tool such as Amplitude
- Skills working with relational databases and SQL, especially Hive and Google Big Query
- Experience working with extremely large data sets
- Experience in Pandas, R, SAS or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments as well as GCP
Full medical, dental, and vision benefits. Life insurance. Long and short-term disability plans. All on us.
Competitive salary. Company stock options. Commuter benefits. 401(k) and RSP retirement savings plan.
Flexible work schedule and vacation plan. Emergency travel assistance. IATA card.
Fully covered public transit fees for any employee who request it!
Hopper at a glance
Hopper focuses on E-Commerce, Online Travel, Big Data, Apps, and Travel. Their company has offices in New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, and Montreal. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Hopper has raised $253M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.