Flight Research & Predictions
Senior Software Engineer/Developer – Microservices
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the world-class engineering team at the company that’s redefining how people travel. As Senior Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, and deploying the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Build robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of dollars of revenue
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an Agile manner leveraging Scala and technologies like HBase, Kafka, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL
- Make important architectural decisions about core backend systems
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- A strong understanding of site reliability and operations
- Experience mentoring people at different stages in their career
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
Full medical, dental, and vision benefits. Life insurance. Long and short-term disability plans. All on us.
Competitive salary. Company stock options. Commuter benefits. 401(k) and RSP retirement savings plan.
Flexible work schedule and vacation plan. Emergency travel assistance. IATA card.
Fully covered public transit fees for any employee who request it!
Hopper at a glance
Hopper focuses on E-Commerce, Online Travel, Big Data, Apps, and Travel. Their company has offices in New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, and Montreal. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Hopper has raised $253M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.