We help companies achieve Hockeystick growth using data
Senior Software Engineer$85k – $130k • 0.1% – 0.25%
Hockeystick is a Toronto-based FinTech startup. We connect companies’ financial data directly to the venture capital, private equity and innovation ecosystems. We’re sitting on a wealth of data and it will be extremely exciting to see what we can do with our next generation start-up network.
Our Engineering team takes pride in the strong foundation that we’ve built for our product using a modern stack, applies robust software development best practices, and works together with business and product to create positive impact every day. If these things motivate and excite you, consider joining as our next Senior Software Engineer.
We embrace the following technologies and if you're familiar with at least half of them, we'd love to chat with you!
- Ruby on Rails for authentication, payment, and subscription management
- Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL for our taxonomy-based storage
- Python for data analysis, cleaning, processing, and machine learning
- GraphQL and Relay for our API
- React, styled-components, and Next.js for our front-end applications
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll collaborate closely with a multi-disciplinary team of product managers, product designers, customer success and data analysts in rapid software delivery cycles. You will:
- Build and ship quality software
- Be accountable for engineering excellence in yourself and the rest of the team through code reviews, knowledge sharing, and mentorship
- Develop software architecture to help guide the future development of our software
- Challenge yourself to seek value creation by having good judgement about needs versus wants
- Feel like you can and must flex your business and product understanding to advance the innovation in our product
We’re especially interested in candidates with prior experience in a startup. To be successful in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- Experience applying best practices to writing secure web applications
- Highly experienced in integrating with 3rd party APIs
- Experience using SQL in production environments
- Proven track-record in open-source contributions (bugs filing counts!) / a portfolio of projects you’re proud to share
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Hockeystick is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
We are a data-first product company that has been adopted by global tech ecosystems around the world. We have pioneered a unique approach to collecting data where users retain control of their data. We believe in Open Data and are a major publisher of open data and open standards.
Your personal growth is important to us, and our career development program will make it happen: a generous health benefits package, annual learning budget, one-on-one coaching, skills development workshops, and more.
A DIVERSE & INCLUSIVE COMPANY
We believe that the unique contributions of everyone at Hockeystick is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Full health benefits
You and your family will be fully covered with our health benefits package; medical, dental, vision and more.
Take advantage of our professional development program to support your ongoing learning needs.
You will have the freedom to work on the Hockeystick projects that you feel excited and passionate about.
When you join the team, you'll get a new Apple computer. You can even take the shrink wrap off yourself.