Connecting your family to a wonder-filled world
Data Analyst$80k – $100k • 0.025% – 0.05%
Sawyer is seeking a Data Analyst to lead key analytics initiatives, with a focus on insights and reporting for our marketing and product teams. This is an opportunity to join an innovative, mission-driven organization as an early member of the Data team. The role is ideal for someone with analytical experience who has not necessarily worked on a data team in the past.
It’s an exciting time to work on data at Sawyer. We’re building a foundation of robust, scalable technology to power analytics and data products for the two sides of our business — our SaaS platform for educational activity providers and our marketplace for parents. In addition, we’re investing in tools, processes, and culture to democratize insights and empower critical decision-making across the organization.
There’s a lot of foundational work to do, so this is an ideal role for someone who is excited to build things from the ground up while digging deep into a variety of data challenges. As a result, you’ll make a direct impact on an early-stage startup that’s working to give each child the opportunity to discover their own love of learning.
About the Role
- Act as a data partner for our marketing and product teams, providing both day-to-day support and longer-term strategic analyses
- Collaborate with the product and marketing teams to design metrics, build funnels, and strategize how to measure the success of projects
- Build and maintain key company dashboards, self-service reporting tools, and the data models that support them
- Work with people across the organization to conduct analyses and support decision-making
- 2+ years of professional experience in a quantitative or analytical role
- Proficient writing SQL to query relational databases (we use Postgres and Redshift)
- Hands-on experience working with a programming language like Python or R to conduct business analyses
- Comfortable using Excel to explore data and communicate your findings
- Experience designing reports and dashboards in a data visualization or business intelligence tool
- Skilled communicator and collaborator, and experience working with a variety of stakeholders
- Curious about how things work and eager to use that curiosity to solve challenging problems
- Experience with dbt and/or Airflow
- Experience analyzing Google AdWords and Facebook ad data
How to Apply
To be considered for the role, please write a note telling us about yourself and why you’re interested in Sawyer. In addition, please include a response to the following two questions:
Imagine a database table named
activities. It has three columns:
activity_id[int, non null]
activity_provider_id[int, non null]
starts_at[timestamp, non null]
- Write a SQL query (any dialect) that counts the number of activities that occur per month per
area_id. Limit the results to the last 12 months. Note that starts_at is a timestamp like ‘2020-07-01 12:30:00’.
- Given the following query, which counts would you expect to return the highest and lowest values? Which counts would you expect to be the same? Why?
Medical, dental and vision insurance
Paid leave for new parents
Company sponsored events
Sawyer at a glance
Sawyer focuses on New York. Their company has offices in Brooklyn. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Sawyer has raised $18.94M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2019.