Our mission is to help you build a company people love
Director of Product Marketing
Help Scout is a product-led company with 10,000+ paying customers across 140 countries. As our first product marketing leader, your mission is to help us earn the next 10,000 customers and beyond.
We have some established processes and roles that support product marketing throughout the organization, and we're looking for an experienced person to write the playbook and build a team to help you execute it. You'll be responsible for core components of our go-to-market strategy, including audience segmentation and research; product positioning and messaging; feature launches; competitive intelligence; and sales enablement.
Although you will be part of our marketing team, you'll collaborate closely with our product, engineering, design, support, and leadership teams, playing a key role in the evolution of our product and business.
As Director of Product Marketing, you will ...
- Build and lead a high-performance team. You will come in and manage a team of one to start. As we head into 2021 and once you are up and running, we will be looking to grow this team out.
- Develop a deep understanding of our products, buyers, and market. You’ll develop a keen understanding of our ideal customer profiles and share them across the business so that all teams feel informed. You'll develop messaging and positioning that's effective in acquiring these customers, speaking to the challenges they are trying to solve.
- Own the marketing strategy for product launches. You’ll define the process for communicating product updates across teams and to our customers. This includes defining the target audience(s); developing value-oriented messaging; pulling together the launch plan; coordinating all marketing activities; and sharing the results.
- Enable our customer-facing teams. This includes overseeing competitive intelligence and training; making sure key use cases and core benefits are communicated clearly in all product-specific messaging; and producing internal and external product materials including case studies; sales collateral; and internal training sessions.
- You’ve hired, developed, and directly managed marketing teams, and those people have wonderful things to say about you. Bonus points for experience with SMB SaaS or in companies with a hybrid self-service/sales-assisted business model.
- You are an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You’re comfortable managing across disciplines at all levels of the organization.
- You have a keen ability to rally people around an idea, drive toward alignment and buy-in, and lead them through to execution.
- You’re a creative thinker that can connect technical feature functionality to real-world value, explaining the benefits in language anyone can understand.
- You are results-oriented. For every project or initiative, you enjoy the process of defining and reporting on what success looks like, then galvanizing others around making it happen.
- When needed, you lean in to having difficult conversations with people to resolve a situation and do what is right. You understand the value of direct, transparent, respectful feedback.
- We're a remote-first company and you can work almost anywhere in the world as long as you have at least 4 hours of overlap with your mostly US-based colleagues.
Who you’ll work with
- Adam Goyette — VP of Marketing, and you’ll report to him.
- Alex Eaton — Product Marketer, and Alex will report to you.
- Mariah Hay — Director of Product, along with our product leads
- Product Specialists in the Support Team - Product specialists represent the voice of the customer, track and report on customer insights, and take the lead on creating documentation.
- The Sales Team—The Help Scout sales team inverts the way sales is typically done. They’re passionate about their craft, which entails putting the customer ahead of the sale.
- plus teammates in Design, Marketing, Finance, and more!
Help Scout at a glance
Help Scout focuses on CRM, Customer Service, Customer Support Tools, and Group Email. Their company has offices in Boston. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Help Scout has raised $12.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2017.