Improving lives by improving communication
Global Payroll Manager
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until August 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, Grammarly is looking for an experienced, driven, and forward-thinking Global Payroll Manager to be a key member of the Finance team. This role will report to the Accounting Manager and support continued growth by improving process workflows through integrations and upgrading to the new systems. It’s an ideal position for a self-starter who is eager to contribute their expertise to a fast-growing company and is ready to adapt to change across a global company. The Global Payroll Manager will have the opportunity to leverage an excellent core knowledge of payroll for multiple US states as well as for Grammary’s international offices.
As Grammarly grows quickly, our Finance team continues to make a significant impact on our business. We’re looking for an experienced and collaborative individual with a high level of attention to detail who can come aboard to help us streamline our payroll process.
- Within your first 30 days, you will get up to speed on Grammarly’s vision, strategy, team, and culture. You will take on full payroll functions, including overseeing and performing daily payroll department operations for worldwide payroll, managing workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed timely and accurately, and preparing and posting payroll journal entries. You will start to take over equity-related tasks from our contractor.
- By month three, you will manage new state payroll tax registrations and collaborate with the Tax team on payroll tax issues. You will start gaining trust from employees, begin developing business partnerships, and use data and analysis to identify opportunities to improve payroll effectiveness. You will own commission calculation.
- By month six, you will take ownership of the equity program and start building reporting structures for delivering high-quality data for internal use.
- By month nine, you will develop clear and concise communication to present thoughts, ideas, and recommendations to all levels of the company.
- Beyond your first year, you will participate in system implementations as needed, assist in other HR and tax department requests or projects, begin to identify areas for improvement, and work with the Accounting Manager to implement changes that will help the company scale.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a business-related concentration.
- Has at least 5 years of experience in managing/processing multistate payroll, as well as at least 3 years of experience managing worldwide payroll processing (a plus).
- Has experience working in a fast-growing startup (SaaS preferred).
- Has strong knowledge of federal and state payroll withholdings.
- Can meet tight deadlines and prioritize competing workloads.
- Can communicate clearly and empathetically both face-to-face and in writing.
- Is able to respond to payroll inquiries with professionalism, kindness, and empathy.
- Has experience working with BambooHR and ADP Workforce Now (proficient users preferred).
- Has experience working with NetSuite and Shareworks (not required, but a plus).
- Has experience in sales commission calculation and in implementing a commission-calculation system.
- Has experience with payroll compliance matters, such as tax withholding for international or multi-state jurisdictions (including Canada), garnishments, and key annual audits (worker’s compensation and external financial audits).
- Has extremely high attention to detail as well as problem-solving skills.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.
Grammarly at a glance
Grammarly focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Education, Machine Learning, and Language Learning. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Kyiv city. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Grammarly has raised $200M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.