Improving lives by improving communication
Software Engineer, Front-End (Browser Extensions)
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until August 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an experienced Front-End Software Engineer to join our collaborative Browser Extensions team, whose work directly impacts millions of users. The team is made up of curious life-long learners who get excited about solving novel technical challenges at scale. The task of the team is not to build a traditional web app but to create a seamless, thoughtful way for users to directly access Grammarly’s sophisticated AI system at any time, on any site. In a domain without established best practices, the challenge for the Browser Extensions team is to pioneer innovative and maintainable solutions that enhance the core experience of the web.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
- Create a delightful user experience that scales to the entire web and meets Grammarly’s users anywhere they write.
- Develop new features to enrich our users’ core web experience and pioneer best practices with cutting-edge web APIs beyond conventional web apps.
- Own the full user engagement experience, from the setup flow to features that target power users.
- Build in-product feedback cycles using our proprietary, sophisticated user engagement metrics system.
- Continue to build your acumen in functional reactive programming, starting with TypeScript and React, and pushing the technical frontier from there.
- Build and contribute to open-source libraries that impact millions of users every day, including Focal, our type-safe, expressive, and composable state management library for React applications.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has at least 5 years of related professional work experience.
- Has strong software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Has experience hacking rich text editors (like Draft.js or Quill), building browser extensions, or working with low-level browser APIs (like Selection or document.execCommand).
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and abides by the Employment Equity Act.
Grammarly at a glance
Grammarly focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Education, Machine Learning, and Language Learning. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Kyiv city. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Grammarly has raised $200M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.