Improving lives by improving communication
Senior Software Engineer, Android$140k – $170k • 0.01% – 0.03%
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until August 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 20 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an experienced Android Engineer to join our Mobile team. This role will help level up the Grammarly Keyboard and its companion app to world-class user experience.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
For most people, the challenge and inconvenience of writing well on mobile are one of the biggest barriers to using their phones for professional communication. That’s why we built the Grammarly Keyboard for Android: to bring effective and mistake-free writing to mobile devices. Since launching in 2017, we’ve gained stellar traction — our users are using the keyboard more than seventy times per day.
But while the keyboard may look simple, it’s extremely challenging to execute flawlessly. A one-second delay after you hit a button in an app might be ok, but would you use a keyboard that didn’t respond instantly to your touch? When you build a product that can react instantly while running on-device machine learning models and continuously communicating with servers in one-tenth of a second, it becomes even more challenging to deliver a delightful user experience.
- Partner closely with Product, UX, and Machine Learning teams to take features from the ideation stage to production code.
- Delight users by solving real-world communication problems in their daily lives.
- Contribute to the evolving architecture of the app while ensuring responsiveness in a resource-constrained environment.
- Diagnose performance issues and fix bugs to improve the quality of the app.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has strong knowledge of UI architecture approaches and custom UI elements.
- Has strong knowledge of multithreading along with memory and performance tuning.
- Has strong knowledge of the Android SDK and libraries available for common tasks.
- Has a consistent record of designing and maintaining features on apps published to the Play store.
- Demonstrates proficiency in writing and maintaining Unit and Instrumentation tests.
- Is familiar with using RESTful APIs from the app.
- Has knowledge of RxJava (a plus, though not required).
- Has experience in using Kotlin is (a plus, though not required).
- Has experience in using the Android NDK (a plus, though not required).
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.
Grammarly at a glance
Grammarly focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Education, Machine Learning, and Language Learning. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Kyiv city. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Grammarly has raised $200M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.