Improving lives by improving communication
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until August 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking to hire our first commercial lawyer, and our second lawyer overall. As a founding member of the Grammarly Legal team, you will work across all aspects of our B2B business. In particular, you will optimize our contracting process, negotiate and help close deals in partnership with our Sales team, and provide advice on continued improvements across the regulatory compliance of our B2B products. You will be a key member of Grammarly’s Legal team and partner closely with all leaders in Grammarly Business as well as with corporate executives, including the CFO, CEO, Head of Product, and Head of Revenue. This position will report directly to the Head of Legal.
As Grammarly Business grows quickly, our commercial capacity will grow significantly across traditional sales deals and online self-serve sales. We will also expand into third-party distribution agreements and related partnership arrangements. You will be essential to ensuring that growth and expansion are pursued in the right way. You will be supported with a dedicated legal operations staff member and have access to outside counsel when required.
We’re looking for someone who will thrive in a collaborative, high-growth environment and who is passionate about creating strong and efficient commercial standards that can scale.
- Within your first 30 days, you will onboard to the Grammarly Legal team and focus on understanding our product, our current agreements, and the negotiation process. You will establish a set of priorities to improve the quality and efficiency of our sales negotiations.
- By month three, you will have implemented changes to the sales negotiation and contracting processes along with related standard agreements. You will learn about online self-serve Terms of Service and set priorities for improvement.
- By month six, you will have implemented changes across sales and self-serve channels and established repeatability and efficiency standards for the organization.
- By month nine, you will have expanded your scope to include commercial partnerships as well as niche segment contracting terms (for example, state-level educational institutions).
- Beyond your first year, you will foster excellence in all Grammarly Business commercial processes and expand into other areas of interest.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Holds a JD and maintains active bar membership in at least one US state (strong preference for California bar membership).
- Demonstrates outstanding judgment and makes consistent good decisions for the company and our team members.
- Can effectively negotiate with a positive impact on customer relationships without compromising necessary speed to conclude a transaction.
- Knows firsthand the challenges of a growth stage company and anticipates the problems of scaling.
- Has experience designing, implementing, and executing effective commercial, transaction, and related processes.
- Communicates clearly and empathetically both face-to-face and in writing.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.
Grammarly at a glance
Grammarly focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Education, Machine Learning, and Language Learning. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Kyiv city. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Grammarly has raised $200M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.