Grail’s mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured
Senior Bioinformatics Data Engineer
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Bioinformatics Data Engineer will partner with computational, engineering and business functions to co-develop data solutions for the GRAIL product pipeline, as well as help establish a research data model to support the variety of data needs of the Research and Development organization. The BDE will also have opportunities to apply statistical analysis and/or machine learning to help identify patterns and discover insights in data of high complexity and volume.
- Define and develop data asset creation workflows for clinical study data, from data pre-processing and automation through data dissemination.
- Assist in developing and managing interactive data visualization and analytics tools for reporting and trending.
- Play a key role in understanding user requirements, implementing systems and authoring procedures related to system use.
- Identify new technologies, concepts, and methodologies to address complex and evolving needs of study teams and other data consumers.
- Maintain data integrity and quality throughout the data lifecycle, including ensuring clinical study-related blinding where appropriate.
Your Background Includes:
- BS/MS/PhD in a quantitative scientific field (computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, etc.)
- 3 - 5 years of industry experience.
- Experience with R or Python programming and at least one system-level programming language like Go, Java or C++.
- Experience with SQL development and data warehousing concepts (e.g. ETL/ELT).
- Experience with AWS.
- Familiarity with AWS Athena, Glue, Data Pipeline a plus.
- Experience with a workflow engine, like Reflow or NextFlow a plus.
- Experience with cross-functional collaboration while ensuring data quality and commitment to analysis reproducibility.
- Experience with real-time data visualization and analytics tools.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing data is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills.
- Excellent team player with a demonstrated track record of success in a cross-functional team environment.
- Consistent commitment to delivering on team goals with a sense of shared urgency.
Complete health coverage
Take advantage of comprehensive health coverage, with medical, dental and vision, to keep you and your family healthy.
Make everyday life more manageable with flexible time off – we trust you to do great work and take time for yourself.
On site amenities
Stay healthy, happy and productive with our gym facilities, and daily catered lunches and snacks for all.
Join a team of passionate and dedicated professionals, committed to collaboration, education, and proactive problem-solving.
We offer competitive salaries and savings plans to provide peace of mind for long-term financial planning.
GRAIL at a glance
GRAIL focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Healthcare, Diagnostics, and Medical Technologies. Their company has offices in Menlo Park. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, GRAIL has raised $3.605B of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.