Grail’s mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured
Software Engineer, Bioinformatics
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
In this role, you will work closely with scientists, clinicians, statisticians and engineers, developing world-class software for bioinformatics research pipelines. You will work closely in conjunction with bioinformaticians and scientists in driving research and discovery in cancer biology, by supporting the hypothesis and experimentation efforts with well-written, scaleable, robust and high-quality software.
- Develop GRAIL’s deep bench of knowledge and capabilities in bioinformatics, statistics, and data science.
- Productize research analyses through writing and leveraging common Go libraries.
- Development of bioinformatics pipelines for testability, reliability, maintainability, and scalability.
- Development of common tools, libraries and infrastructure to assist in bioinformatics research efforts.
- Carrying out building, validation and releases of research pipelines.
- Standardizing and optimizing release procedures and research pipeline components.
- Perform and support end-to-end research analyses that include design, data gathering, processing, analysis, code implementation, documentation, testing, collaboration with stakeholders, and presentation of results.
- Apply sound engineering principles, iterative approach to software design and adherence to rigorous, high-quality, testable code development.
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics or similar technical field.
- 1+ years of relevant work or internship experience designing, developing, testing and maintaining production grade software.
- Strong knowledge of general purpose programming languages, including Go, C++, Python.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of quickly learning new programming languages, technologies and algorithms.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and self-direction, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in any of the following areas: distributed systems, databases, algorithms.
- Nice to have - experience with next generation sequencing data analyses (DNA, RNA or epigenetic analyses.)
Complete health coverage
Take advantage of comprehensive health coverage, with medical, dental and vision, to keep you and your family healthy.
Make everyday life more manageable with flexible time off – we trust you to do great work and take time for yourself.
On site amenities
Stay healthy, happy and productive with our gym facilities, and daily catered lunches and snacks for all.
Join a team of passionate and dedicated professionals, committed to collaboration, education, and proactive problem-solving.
We offer competitive salaries and savings plans to provide peace of mind for long-term financial planning.
GRAIL at a glance
GRAIL focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Healthcare, Diagnostics, and Medical Technologies. Their company has offices in Menlo Park. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, GRAIL has raised $3.605B of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.