Biology on your terms. develope organisms using computer automation
Director of Commercial Operations
Ginkgo is a well-funded, high-growth biotech company in Boston’s Seaport District that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our unparalleled data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering. We’re on the lookout for smart, innovative, team-oriented individuals to join us on our mission, and to get the world on board for the ride.
We’re looking for a motivated Director of Commercial Operations to join our team. You will play a key role in maximizing Ginkgo’s value through the promotion and delivery of bioengineering solutions to Ginkgo’s partners. As the primary interface with our external customers at various levels (from executive leadership to technical teams), you will be responsible for the overall success of our pertaining alliances.
In addition, you will be in charge of driving the strategy, tactical execution, account growth, and coordination of our diverse partnerships. This transversal role will require you to collaborate with multiple internal teams, including finance, creative, legal, commercial, technical, and corporate development.
This role is critical to defining, executing, and delivering the long term application of Ginkgo’s technology to its strategic partners.
- Manage ownership and accountability of the P&L for different partnerships, acting as the 'CEO' of the alliance
- Explore and negotiate growth strategies for the alliance
- Propose, oversee, and track the progress of technical projects and their execution to ensure high quality deliverables
- Understand the needs of existing commercial partners and develop strategies to maximize the value of the alliance for Ginkgo and the partner
- Cultivate a healthy relationship between the partner and the technical, deployment, legal, and finance teams at Ginkgo in order to achieve alliance objectives
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners by facilitating information transfer between partners, and proactively resolve business, technical, and contractual issues
- Design and develop key Platform Delivery processes and portfolio reporting tools to facilitate interactions and status reporting to partners and internal stakeholders
- Travel as necessary
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree with 8-10 years of relevant work experience in biotechnology or related fields, (MBA and/or PhD a plus)
- 2-4 years of partner-facing experience preferred
- Technical background and/or experience managing technical projects preferred
- Experience overseeing and expanding partnerships
- Experience managing and coordinating small teams (3 to 7 people) for project execution
- Ability to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong aptitude for cultivating working relationships at all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
Ginkgo Bioworks at a glance
Ginkgo Bioworks focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Healthcare, Medical, and Chemicals. Their company has offices in Boston. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Ginkgo Bioworks has raised $789.12M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.