Pay rent on your own schedule
Senior Backend Engineer$125k – $200k • 0.0% – 0.05%
What is Flex:
Flex is a NYC-based startup that enables people to pay bills on their own schedule, starting with everyone’s biggest expense: rent. Flex enables renters to pay rent throughout the month on a schedule that better fits their finances, instead of all on the 1st.
What we're looking for:
Someone who is smart, energetic and most importantly passionate about our mission - to reduce the financial burden of Americans when it comes to their largest expense - rent. Flex offer renters a line of credit to enable them to pay with flexibility throughout the month instead of all at once before the month starts.
Your main focus will be building the risk engine and infrastructure that enables Flex to wrangle complex, ever-changing business rules. This system will also leverage our proprietary data science solutions to keep the business safe. You'll work closely together with our backend engineering team, our product and risk team, as well as our data science team to get the job done.
What you'll do:
- Lead the architecture and development of our real-time credit and fraud decisioning services
- Work closely with our data scientists to productionize machine learning models and implement new experiments
- Manage and improve data infrastructure and ETL processes that power our machine learning models
- Actively participate in code reviews; provide guidance and ensure the engineering team is following established processes.
- Participate in the adoption of best practices and process improvements, including documentation and team roll-out.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 6+ years Engineering experience
- Demonstrated expertise in scalable, production-grade services in Python
- Strong knowledge of trade-offs in engineering for scalability, fault tolerance, maintainability, and performance
- Experience in productionizing ML models would be a bonus
- Experience with serverless architecture and event-sourcing would be a bonus
- Experience with datawarehousing platforms like BigQuery and Snowflake, as well as ETL processes would be a bonus
- Experience in fintech sector will be a bonus, notably within credit and fraud risk decisioning
- Alignment with our mission to improve access to effective financial products for people who need it most
Flex at a glance
Flex focuses on Payments, Credit, and Financial Technology. Their company has offices in New York City. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Flex has raised $5.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2019.