We're on a mission to help the world make time for what matters
Director of Engineering
Clockwise & COVID-19
Clockwise is actively hiring for this position and will review your application.
We are monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic as the health, safety, and comfort of our community, employees, and candidates remain our number one priority. We appreciate your understanding as we’ve modified our hiring processes during this situation.
Parts of this job description are specific to Clockwise during the CA state & local COVID-19 response.
Who we are
Clockwise is an intelligent calendar system that frees up your time so you can work on what matters. We want to help people escape the chaos of work and find their focus. As the world's first company powering time, Clockwise creates, detects, protects and negotiates Focus Time to help individuals and teams anywhere in the world be more productive at work.
Clockwise is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Director of Engineering to lead our team to the next level. Our engineering leaders must be technical and able to deeply understand the systems they’re responsible for, comfortable with distilling ambiguity, and possess a keen eye for detail. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic to work with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
This role combines strategic and hands on elements. You'll work cross-functionally, collaborating with Design, Engineering, Talent, Marketing, and Business Operations to build an industry-defining software product.
Clockwise is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. We're proud to have the backing of Bain, Accel, and Greylock Partners. Our team has decades of experience from places like Twitter, Asana, Salesforce, Atlassian, Dropbox, Palantir and Google.
Join us as we help the world make time for what matters.
What you'll do
- Build an exceptional team of engineers by hiring and coaching with the huge impact of delivering the core Clockwise experience.
- Empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, quality, and simplicity.
- Drive projects and initiatives across the entire engineering organization.
- Work with the team to design and architect new systems, products, and features.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product, design, support and operations.
- Work with the founders to shape engineering culture, standards and processes.
- You have 7+ years of experience in software engineering at top-tier software companies, including as a senior leader managing software teams.
- You still look forward to coding opportunities (or reviewing code) even if those opportunities might not often present themselves.
- You have a track record building and leading successful engineering teams, including mentoring other engineering managers.
- Experience recruiting extraordinary people from different backgrounds.
- You have an eye for great products, and can work effectively with engineers, product managers, and designers to build them.
- You care for designing systems and building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- You have pride in working on projects to drive them to completion, involving a wide variety of technologies, systems, and cross-functional partners.
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds
Java, Rust, Postgres, Redis, Kubernetes, AWS, Node, Typescript, Relay, GraphQL, and more
Clockwise is currently working remotely in accordance with San Francisco’s “Stay Home” ordinance.
Clockwise is accelerating the comfort & normalcy of remote work for our users as well as our employees. We’ve designed a remote work experience that exemplifies our values-driven culture and velocity by modifying our weekly rituals and adopting new technologies.
The Clockwise HQ is in the South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco; 3 minutes from CalTrain & 10 minutes from BART.
What we offer (non-exhaustive)
- Competitive total compensation package with generous equity
- Premium medical, dental and vision plans
- 401(k) plan
- Commuter & wellness stipend
- Daily team lunches, kitchen stocked with snacks
- Company happy hours, social events, and outings
In the Press
"Clockwise helps teams organize (meetings) in a “batched” fashion, so that they occur back to back, preserving as much uninterrupted time as possible on each employee’s individual calendar." The New Yorker - Cal Newport, “Can Remote Work Be Fixed?”
"Try Clockwise, a Google Calendar extension that optimizes your calendar to help you find uninterrupted, focused work time—not meeting time." The Wall Street Journal - Joanna Stern, “Living the Coronavirus Work-From-Home Life? Here Are All the Tech Tips You Need”
Forbes - H.V. MacArthur, “Effective Time Management While Working Remotely During The COVID-19 Pandemic”
TechCrunch - Lucas Matney - “Accel & Greylock-backed Clockwise launches an AI assistant for Google Calendar”
Product Hunt, Product of the Year 2019 runner-up - Ryan Hoover - “Announcing the 2019 Golden Kitty Award Winners”
What drives Clockwise
Empathy - we work to fully understand our customers and teammates, especially when we disagree
Authenticity - we speak openly and candidly while embracing our teammates’ individuality
Focus - we spend our time deliberately and don’t wait to do the things that matter
Drive - we relentlessly pursue success and aren't afraid to get outside our comfort zone
Curiosity - we seek out opportunities to learn and continuously question how we can improve
Enthusiasm - we love what we do and are excited to share it with the world
Health, dental & vision
Health, Dental, and Vision benefits are managed via Gusto.
Meaningful equity, standard vesting schedule & extended exercise window
Lunches with the team everyday Dinner on Tuesdays & Thursdays
Monthly gym membership, fitness class, meditation subscription, or anything that helps you maintain a healthy life, Clockwise will contribute $100 a month
Clockwise will contribute to your commute via pre-tax commuter card or Clipper Direct.
Hackathons, socials, off-sites, etc.
Mobile & mifi
If you use your phone for work and/or regularly need to tether to a device for data while commuting, Clockwise can help.
Clockwise at a glance
Clockwise focuses on Enterprise Software, Productivity Software, Communications Software, and Collaboration Software. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Clockwise has raised $29.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2020.