A car for every drive. rent cars near you convenient hourly and daily rentals. insurance included
Senior Backend Engineer, Finance Squad
We believe in a world where all cars are shared. Carsharing empowers people to get going in a smarter, easier way, while also having a positive impact on the environment and making cities more liveable. It’s this vision that propels us forward and inspires us to think even bigger.
Getaround is the world's leading carsharing platform with a community of more than 5 million users sharing thousands of car in more than 300 cities in the U.S and Europe.
Our team is collaborative, positive, curious, and engaged. We think fast, work smart, laugh often, and are looking for like-minded people to join us in our mission to disrupt car ownership and make cities better.
- The product & engineering team is getting close to 50 people in Europe, but we have a lot of positions open and we will grow a lot more this year. To scale effectively, we organize ourselves in squads with people coming from various departments like engineering, data, design, and product.
Getaround is a marketplace collecting Millions of euros per month on behalf of our owners, drivers and insurance partners. The finance squad has 2 main missions:
- Fulfill Getaround's financial obligations and build a scalable and easy-to-use accounting system.
- Empower other squads with easy to use abstractions to grow our business.
What you’ll work on:
In practical terms, your work will be very diverse and will span all over the codebase, you can have a look at this blog entry where Nicolas explains what his job is like in the finance squad:
Define and implement long term changes to support growth and product iterations, like going from only supporting one time payments to subscriptions, supporting different payment methods or adding pre-authorization for risky behaviors.
Produce automated reporting for the finance department to use. Seems boring, isn't it? Actually the needs of a finance department are driving a lot of fun constraints to play with; continually increasing volumes, consistency, reliability, and precision (to the last penny!).
Supporting other squads; Most squads need at some point something from the finance squad. It could be some assistance for a given task, or it could be a feature that isn't yet supported and that we'll need to add to the components we own.
Develop the vision of the squad using continuous refactoring to build a more decoupled architecture and simple-to-use abstractions to be used by other developers.
Who you’ll work with:
- You'll be working with David and Nicolas, Backend Engineers, and Lucian, product owner of the squad, but will be in contact with all the other squads when needed. You will report to Michael.
What you'll bring to the table:
- You've shipped and maintained code in production
- Good knowledge of at least one backend language
- Experience with a relational database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- You're a rigorous engineer that relish creating highly reliable backend services
- You have a good understanding of system design, data structures, and architecture
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code
- Good communication and teamwork skills
- Able to communicate in English
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby on Rails 5.2 with Ruby 2.6
- TypeScript, React/Preact with Webpack
- Continuous integration with Docker and CircleCI to push to production multiple times a day
- MySQL, Redis, Snowflake
- A strong internal design system
- Monitoring dashboards built with Telegraf + Influxdb + Grafana
What we offer:
- A solid engineering team with a lot of experience
- The peace of mind of a large test suite and pull requests to stay sane and ship often
- Getting to learn from your peers and to share your knowledge on the blog and in our internal presentations every two weeks
- A ticket to one technical conference of your choice each year
- Open source projects are being extracted from the codebase when appropriate
- We'll buy any non fiction books you want to read, and you'll get access to our growing library
- An international startup environment with 20+ different nationalities, HQ in San Francisco and European offices in Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, London, Amsterdam, Oslo and Nantes
- A remote friendly culture, with some remote allowed for this position
- We often organise meetups in our office
- Tickets restaurants, a good health insurance
- "Hack days" to experiment with new technologies and ideas as well as other team events
No need for a resume, but Linkedin, Twitter and Github usernames are appreciated! Don't hesitate to give our backend challenge a try.
Come join us in continuing to make Getaround a great place to work!
Best-in-class medical and dependent care
In North America, we provide 100% paid premiums for basic medical, dental, and vision insurance (for individuals) and 50% of premium coverage for dependents.
Flexible spending account
A pre-tax benefit account that's used to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not covered by your health care plan or elsewhere.
Our 401(k) is based on a low-fee, index fund approach. That means more of your money goes towards retirement instead of a money manager.
Paternal and maternal leave
Open vacation policy
We have an open vacation policy so you can take the time off you need! To ensure fairness across all teams, we mandate that everyone takes a minimum of 10 business days a year.
Getaround has a negotiated gym membership with Fitness SF. Remote employees can receive $25 off their gym memberships.
Commuter benefits allow you to allocate a fixed amount of pre-tax dollars for eligible work-related transit and parking expenses. Getaround’s monthly transit contribution is $75 towards parking or transit.
Education stipend: $600 per calendar year to be used for self-directed development opportunities.
Quarterly company parties
Getaround at a glance
Getaround focuses on Mobile, Automotive, Peer-to-Peer, Marketplaces, and Social Commerce. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Paris. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Getaround has raised $742.4M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2018.