Platform to find, purchase, and manage geospatial data
Data Engineer (Jr/Mid)$90k – $150k • 0.0% – 0.25%
Geosite is a YC-backed startup that provides a SaaS platform enabling customers across a wide swathe of industries to leverage geospatial data for reconnaissance, planning and operations in real-time. Our company is working to solve real world problems including assessing and communicating COVID risk to decision makers in government and business, and in “operationalizing” the use of measurements of greenhouse gas emissions to help companies reduce their GHG footprint and increase safety.
Our Data Science team is looking for a team member to take the lead scoping, organizing, and building our spatial data and data science pipelines, working closely in step with our engineering team. By doing so, this team member will help us stand up and facilitate spatial data science in our cloud-based platform. This engineer will implement data science and geography methodology/theory in using clean and concise code that meshes with our cloud-based and containerized system to provide our customers with novel insights.
Qualifying candidates for this position must have experience supporting geospatial data science and mapping on the cloud. Expertise in geospatial databases and data ETL (extraction, transformation, loading) pipelines is a must. Experience with containerization and/or FaaS (functions as a service) is also highly desirable.
If you can stand up raster/vector tile server infrastructure, and design and implement an approach to automate and scale the ingest of data, and its transformation into insights via data modeling on the cloud, you're the right candidate for this job.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design, build, and maintain data/modeling pipeline infrastructure on the cloud
- Understand business requirements to design tools and systems to support these requirements
Minimum Experience & Qualifications:
- Expertise in web mapping protocols (MVT, WMTS, WMS, etc)
- Expertise in designing, building and maintaining geospatial database systems (e.g. postgis, elasticsearch geo) hosted in containers on cloud services (e.g. AWS EC2/RDS, Docker, etc) using tools like Python, R, Scala, Airflow, NiFi, etc
- High comfort level with engineering in a small team environment.
- Self-starter, finding solutions on their own while knowing when to ask for help
- Experience working with vector tiles and 3D tiles using common specifications (MapboxGL, CesiumGS, etc)
- Experience with geospatial data standards from OGC, others
- Familiarity with data visualization libraries like plotly and D3
- Experience working on a successful B2B product
- Early-stage startup experience
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible work hours and paid time off
If interested please send a description of your interest and resume/exp to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Geosite at a glance
Geosite focuses on Defense, Oil and Gas, Geospatial, Federal Government, and Space Satellites. Their company has offices in Palo Alto. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.
You can view their website at http://geosite.io