The world’s biggest collection of song lyrics and musical knowledge
Senior Engineer, Full Stack (NYC-based or U.S. Remote)
Genius is looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer—based in NYC or U.S. Remote—to help build the ultimate music companion, enabling fans to collaboratively transcribe lyrics and write annotations that live on Genius.com and everywhere people experience music. We’re looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks who’ve built cool things, but who can also maintain and scale those things, and who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect—including over 130 million users on Spotify and Apple Music—across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Build and maintain web application features, working with a Rails backend and Angular frontend
- Proactively identify and fix infrastructure bottlenecks to scale backend services to tens of thousands of requests per minute
- Develop the APIs that our Android and iPhone apps and web frontend consume
- Work with product design team to build rich, intuitive user experiences in the browser
- Architect database query patterns and migrations that scale to large tables with 50M+ rows
- Take ownership of features at a product as well as a technical level, working closely with other engineers, designers, and colleagues across the company to define feature specifications
- Join on-call rotation to respond to urgent bugs or outages
- At least 5 years professional web development experience
- Significant experience with Ruby on Rails
- Significant experience with at least one front end framework: Angular, Ember, React, or similar
- Significant experience working with relational databases and writing SQL queries
- 3 years Rails development
- 2 years experience with PostgreSQL/MySQL
- 1+ years experience with React
- Match our catalog of millions of songs to an external partner’s—Apple, Spotify, Pandora, Google, etc—catalog of millions of songs
- Apply plain text diffs to structured markup
- Design and build an activity stream scalable to 100M+ events and a filterable “firehose” interface for consuming them
- HTTP-cache all pages at the edge for logged-out users only
- Develop a system for associating annotations to arbitrary DOM that can change out from under you
- Calculate document ownership based on edit history with hundreds of distinct authors
- Develop representation for rich text that’s portable to native iOS and Android environments
- Design a domain-specific language and implementation of site-wide rate limits for spammy or abusive behavior
- Fingerprint artist names to prevent duplicate data with low false-positive rate
Meet your team
Choose between a variety of Aenta plans, most are 100% covered for employees and 50% covered for spouses and children
Choose between Aetna or VSP vision plans, most are 100% covered for employees and 50% covered for spouses and children
Flexible spending account
Option to pay into pre-tax healthcare or childcare spending account
Genius provides short term and long term disability plans that cover up to 50% of salary
Choose between Aetna, Delta Dental, and Metlife plans, most are 100% covered for employees and 50% covered for spouses and children
Plan through Transamerica
Life and ad&d insurance
Genius pays for $20,000 of coverage, employees have the option to purchase more
20 days of vacation per year (prorated for those who start mid-year)
Lunch provided everyday. Catered lunch Mondays and Fridays. Seamless provided, Tuesday – Thursday. Dinner provided when working late. Unlimited snacks and beverages in office kitchens.
Unlimited — Stay home and get better!
Ability to contribute pre-tax earnings for Metrocards, Commuter Transits Accounts, or parking expenses via WageWorks
Get reimbursed for your monthly phone plan up to $150.00 per month
Genius at a glance
Genius focuses on Digital Media, Internet, Video, Music, and Entertainment. Their company has offices in Brooklyn. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Genius has raised $71.9M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2018.