Get ahead with expert-led training in coding, data, design, digital marketing, and more
Sr. Manager Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting
We are looking for an experienced **Senior Manager, Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting** to join our team. This newly-created position will be an integral part of the Accounting team, reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer. The Senior Manager will hold responsibility for managing a team and providing operational and technical accounting expertise on aspects of General Assembly’s (GA’s) revenue streams, equity accounting and other technical accounting areas. The ideal candidate will be a highly technical CPA, have experience with private and public company financial reporting, be highly process-oriented, demonstrate a strong customer centric attitude as well as have an aptitude to mentor, train and develop a team.
- Lead subject matter expert on all areas requiring technical accounting support
- Revenue recognition (ASC 605 and ASC 606), tax accounting, equity accounting, acquisition accounting, consolidations
- Lead financial reporting
- Prepare timely financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Lead the Company’s financial statement audit and manage discussions with auditors and external accounting and tax advisors
- Provide ad-hoc historical financial information to state regulators and internal stakeholders as needed
- Lead process improvement initiatives
- Document policies and procedures
- Support system implementations
- Lead control environment enhancements
- Support the FP&A team
- Provide input and insights on forecasting on special transactions and expansion initiatives
- Lead on matters requiring revenue modeling and acquisition accounting projections
- Support business units on requests for guidance and direction
- Lead contract reviews including contracts with non-standard terms
- Advise on optimal deal structure including revenue recognition treatment and tax considerations
- Provide timely feedback to the sales team on pricing and deal structure proposals
- Support Accounting Operations team
- Assist in operationalizing accounting conclusions
- Support the closing the books in the timely manner
- Provide leadership on data structure, GL structure and overall management of the accounting information system environment
- 8+ years of experience in Big 4+ public accounting and/or commercial industry accounting/finance
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Actively licensed CPA
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and ability to assimilate easily into teams
- Strong technical skills and a working knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SEC reporting and revenue recognition concepts
- Effective analytical and critical thinking abilities
- High energy with commitment to quality client service
- You are hands-on and not afraid to dive into the details.
- You have a strong understanding of USGAAP and adept at researching accounting rules and boiling them down to the impact on the company’s financials.
- You are comfortable with new concepts and complexity; You are described as determined, capable, and agile.
- You possess strong intellectual horsepower and are a quick study.
- You get at the root of the problem and implement fixes so the problem doesn’t recur.
- You establish strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- You summarize complex concepts for non-experts in an easy to understand manner.
- You develop staff by setting clear expectations and providing timeline feedback.
- You manage with empathy; you mentor your team and provide them with opportunities to learn and develop.
Receive paid days off as a new father or mother.
Generous paid time off
Paid time off when requested.
General Assembly at a glance
General Assembly focuses on Education, Web Design, Product Design, Design, and Web Development. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, General Assembly has raised $144.45M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2015.