Biotech company specializing in early cancer diagnoses
Technical Product Manager - Research and Development
Freenome is seeking a Technical Product Manager, Research and Development
About the Role
The Technical Product Manager, Research and Development is responsible for the ownership of Freenome’s development software systems to ensure the platform’s reliability and validity from lab to machine learning initiatives.
You will be responsible for coordinating and prioritizing the needs of the molecular research and laboratory teams and working with engineers to manage downstream data. This position also requires you to innovate and improve upon the current software infrastructure in place, define new specifications for automation and further strengthen data integrity.
A detail-oriented approach will be paramount to this role coupled with strong software development through Agile. You will capture user requirements, plan, monitor and execute new software features and improvements. A comprehensive understanding of machine learning platforms and tools is also required to perform this role effectively. Proactive and creative problem-solvers are encouraged to apply.
How you’ll contribute:
Manage development processes, systems and software infrastructure necessary to conduct internal research initiatives
- Define and ship new internal software systems to increase productivity and integrity
- Improve existing software tools for scientific and machine learning teams
- Lead data integrity projects at a cross-functional level from lab to machine learning
- Create product requirement documents (PRDs) and tangible roadmaps for engineering teams through Agile
- Track and drive development and ensure fulfillment of requirements using issue tracking system (e.g., Jira)
- Facilitate productive interactions between users and engineers to ensure needs are understood and met
What you’ll bring:
- BS in computer science or related technical field, an understanding of molecular or computational biology preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a software development environment, ideally within biotechnology and machine learning
- Deep knowledge and experience with shipping backend software systems and infrastructure (concept through execution)
- Direct experience with molecular and computational biologists or clinical study operations from a diagnostics perspective
- Experience leading software development efforts to meet regulated market standards (e.g., FDA or CE-mark)
- Experienced expert at identification and prioritization of software features
- Demonstrated track record of excelling in a process driven function
- Demonstration of measurably improving organizational success and processes
- Demonstration of leading complex trade-off decisions between functions
- Demonstration of scaling or navigating a new area to become an expert
Freenome is a biotechnology company that has pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining a deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, Freenome is developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science. Freenome is headquartered in South San Francisco, California. For more information about Freenome, visit www.freenome.com and view open positions at freenome.com/careers.
The company has raised $238 million from investors such as RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Perceptive Advisors, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Novartis, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis, and Verily Life Sciences (formerly Google Life Sciences).
Freenome is building technology to gain an understanding of the body through several analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease dependent signatures such as gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. With the combination of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and mission to uncover the biological truth, we seek to positively change the lives of millions through the early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical and creative, visionary and grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, which allows us to solve problems and uncover opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, coming together to advance healthcare one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another. That means embracing other’s perspectives, those of our coworkers and those of the patients and communities we serve. It means knowing when to push, and when to listen. At Freenome, we give each other the benefit of the doubt in the belief that we’re all working as a team toward the same goals, and empower others to grow in a collaborative environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals in alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, and trust, and hold themselves and their team accountable. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from unfamiliar fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in the good intentions of others, and secure in the knowledge that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and move on. For those who crave challenges, understudied problems, and the chance to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in every way. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Freenome at a glance
Freenome focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Diagnostics, Personal Health, and Technology. Their company has offices in South San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Freenome has raised $249.25M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2019.