We advance the art and technology of visual experience
Senior Research Engineer
Foundry’s Research Team develops cutting-edge industrial-strength image processing technology, and have a proven track record commercialising intellectual property in applications for film production as well as custom applications for technology partners. The Team bridges academic research and industry applications, it creates cutting edge technology for the creative industries. The team works closely with clients in film visual-effects and take technology from concept through to market.
This Senior Research Engineer role is an exciting opportunity to be responsible for the technical output (and quality) combining development and testing. To do this you'll have core technical knowledge in business critical technologies, have some mentoring responsibilities, alongside good SDLC knowledge including Agile/SCRUM. You'll interact with customers in areas of Research team expertise, understanding and solving any issues that arise. The Senior Research Engineer reports to the Head of Research and works with the Head to coordinate the long-term development of intellectual property required for future product releases.
- Develop new or existing IP into useful, high-quality features fitting product requirements.
- Develop and disseminate core technical knowledge within your team.
- Mentor junior team members, promoting their technical development and team engagement
- Co-ordinate the roll-out of alpha and beta releases to clients and mentor the team in gathering feedback to shape development.
- Contribute to the code base for image, video and geometry processing.
- Implement and foster efficient, reliable code development processes and communication within the team.
- Act as the go-to expert for the code-base and mentor to the team to ensure the development of high quality, re-useable and low maintenance code.
- Create prototypes as proof-of-concept, alphas for feedback from key clients, betas to gather wider feedback and deliver final tools in products.
- Co-ordinate the scheduling of development work in the team and the integration with the development effort for the product as a whole.
- Ensure the team delivers regular product releases of a high standard.
- Post-Graduate Degree in Engineering / Computer Science (e.g. MSc, PhD preferred, or equivalent experience)
- Extensive C++ experience
- Experience with Python
- Experience of cross OS development including Qt across Linux and Windows.
- Knowledge of Jenkins/Conan/CMake an advantage
- Commercial Experience of modern programming practises (e.g. BDD, TDD, Code Review)
- Experience of leading using AGILE methodologies (Scrum, Kanban etc)
- Experience of hiring decisions through assessing technical skills and team fit.
- Experience of customer workflows and practises to aid leading technical design and requirement breakdown for the team.
- Experience of customer facing communication and work, including custom contracts.
- Developed, debugged, delivered and deployed software to customers worldwide
THE PERKS & BENEFITS.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme & life assurance
- Health cash plan & medical insurance
- Season ticket loan
- Company’s social events
- Beer O’Clock Fridays
- Gym Discounts
- Learning & development plans
- Foundry’s discount & saving scheme
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Foundry develops creative software for the digital design, media and entertainment industries. With a 20-year heritage and a portfolio of award-winning products, Foundry advances the art and technology of visual experience in partnership with creative leaders around the globe.
Clients and partners include major feature film studios and post-production houses such as Pixar, ILM, MPC, Walt Disney Animation, Weta Digital, DNEG, and Framestore as well as automotive, footwear, apparel and technology companies such as Mercedes, New Balance, Adidas and Google. Foundry partners with these companies to solve complex visualization challenges to turn incredible ideas into reality.
The company’s products are used to create breathtaking visual effects sequences on a wide range of feature films, video-on-demand, television and commercials. Foundry software was integral in the making of every VFX Oscar-winning film, award-winning TV shows and commercials for more than a decade.
Founded in 1996, Foundry is headquartered in London, with 300 staff and a presence in the US, China, Japan, Australia and Europe. In 2015, the London Stock Exchange named Foundry one of the “1000 Companies to Inspire Britain.” It regularly features in The Sunday Times’ Tech Track as one of Britain’s fastest-growing private technology companies.
For more information visit www.foundry.com.