A new corporate-backed, multi-sector, incubator and accelerator
Tech Lead (Byway)
The new flight-free holiday brand for millennials
We’re using smart tech to solve a really hard problem: researching and booking cross-border, multimodal, multi-operator, flight-free holidays. Today, there is no way to do this other than DIY-ing it across multiple platforms, asynchronously (to fit with different booking horizons). Our challenge is to create a seamless, personal user experience on the front end, with slick fulfilment on the back end. Our MVP has great traction and we’re looking for a CTO to build the tech.
We see a world in which flight-free holidays are normal, and a vibrant travel ecosystem flourishes away from the beaten path.
We exist to make flight-free holidays seamless and personal from start to end. We want to help our customers experience the joy of journeying by train and boat, opening their eyes to a new way of holidaying, in which they can experience the lesser-known parts of the world instead of flying over them. We want Byway to blaze a trail into a new travel ecosystem growing up around sustainable, authentic and conscious travel. We have become a pre-registered BCorp, which means we’re committed to building a business that’s a force for good.
We’ve got traction
Founded in the spring, we’ve already sent our first customers away on holiday. We have a waiting list built during lockdown that we’re converting, and are seeing 200 new holiday requests a week. We need to build out the tech that will help us scale, to stay ahead of the demand.
We’re looking for a Founding Tech Lead
Our Tech Lead is the most important hire we’re ever going to make, and we’d love to find someone we could consider bringing into Byway as a cofounder. We have an experienced team supported by our investor Founders Factory, and their investor, the Guardian. We work flexibly and remotely. We like the team to come together in person on a regular basis, and will maintain an office in London. In the current Covid climate we’re running lean; we expect to raise in 2021.
• Our customers are tech-savvy millennials and our user experience has to be show-stopping.
• We need a recommendation engine that not only suggests personal journeys, but detours and experiences within them.
• We’ll have a mobile-first companion experience that goes with the customer on their journey.
• We’ll need solid, reliable API integrations with transportation, accommodation and ancillary partners.
• You will be the second technical hire and the first senior one; this is a hands-on coding role and you’ll need to own the strategic architecture from day one.
• Partnerships and integrations with third party software are going to be key; we don't need - or want - to build everything from scratch.
• We assume you are confident over the full stack of web and/or mobile development and comfortable not just planning but executing on a technical strategy.
Join a travel startup in 2020! Are you crazy?
Covid lockdowns have forced a total shutdown of air travel, and opened people’s eyes to the environmental bounce-back possible. At the same time, we’ve all been forced to slow down and reconnect with our local areas as never before. Emerging from lockdown, airport experiences, quarantines and long flights with strangers are prompting many to look to travel closer to home. 2021 will be the year of the staycation, and the year of holidays away from the crowds. Cue Byway.
Find out more about us at www.byway.travel.
We are committed to building a diverse culture and are eager to receive applications from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
Founders Factory at a glance
Founders Factory focuses on Digital Media, Information Technology, Education, Online Travel, and Beauty. Their company has offices in London, Bucharest, and Paris. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.